Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Sunday, August 01, 2010

Postcards from Matron

I confess! I am silly and sentimental when it comes to dogs, so I had to visit Greyfriars Bobby in Edinburgh. Do you know the story? Greyfriars Bobby was a Skye terrier who was owned by a policeman in Greyfriars, Edinburgh in the late 19th century. Unfortunately his owner died and Bobby would not leave the churchyard where his master was buried. Bobby slept on his master's grave for the rest of his life and was such a likeable character that he achieved superstar status and was given the 'Freedom of the City of Edinburgh' - (which actually gave him the right to vote...years before women had the right!).
He is buried in Greyfriars churchyard where children bring him gifts and messages (not a dry eye in the house, eh?)
So Matron left him a big stick to play with!
We parked under the Forth bridge.
Visited a Scotch whisky distillery near Loch Lomond (free samples given!)
Visited the Giants Causeway in Northern Ireland.
The scenery in Northern Ireland all along the Antrim coast is Spectacular. Fantastic coastline, beaches and glens. This is a place I must visit again.
Speaks for itself.
And an amazing sunset over water every evening!

7 Comments:

At 9:04 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

That is indeed an amazing sunset!

 
At 9:13 PM, Blogger Cabbage Tree Farm said...

Looks like you've been getting around quite a bit, wonderful.

 
At 11:37 PM, Blogger Maz said...

Hi there I too love visiting Edinburgh and usually pop along to visit with Bobby!

Sounds like you've been busy buzzing around! LOL
(((hugs)))
maz x

 
At 10:01 AM, Blogger Carrie said...

you were in Glenarm - my favourite little village here. We run up there most weekends - fab cafe and the castle gardens are lovely. Yes you must return to Northern Ireland, it is fabulous, though I may be biased :)
Let me know next time and I'll put the kettle on!

 
At 10:56 AM, Blogger Kath said...

I love the scenery in Ireland too.

You must go to The Burren if you get the chance.

 
At 6:18 PM, Blogger EB said...

I didn't know the Greyfriars Bobby thing was still so actively remembered - I read the book as a child and cried :) Nice pictures, I'd love to see the northern Irish coast.

 
At 7:19 PM, Anonymous Damo said...

What a lovely story, and a great trip.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>