Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Sunday, June 17, 2007

Asparagus Peas

Well, today was the result of my taste test on these Asparagus peas which I was growing for the first time this year. They have attractive scarlet flowers which are followed by these winged pods. They are supposed to taste like asparagus! Hmmmm.. I picked about a dozen and steamed them (still squealing) for about 3 minutes. Not unpleasant, reminded me of savoy cabbage. Won't grow them again, but might recommend them for an attractive flower border.
Blog readers might recognize this as my plum codling moth pheromone trap. The little rubber thingy in the centre of this sticky paper gives off the female "come and get it boys" pheromone. Those poor little male codling moths fly right in there with their little tentacles erect... and stick to the sticky stuff. Here is the trap I put in 6 weeks ago. The pheromone capsule lasts about that long and I replaced them with a fresh one today. It really works! Last year there were hardly any maggots in my plums. Highly recommended.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

>