Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Sunday, April 12, 2009

Spring Lambs!

These days more and more people want to know where their food comes from. Today I visited my friend's smallholding in Bedfordshire. These sheep are Balwyn sheep. They are bred for showing, but if the white spots aren't in the proper place, or if their socks are too short or if their nose isn't quite right....you know where they are going.
I managed to find a young friend to take with me to admire these lambs.
If you are interested in the buildings in the background to the next photo - those are the Cardington airship hangars.
And just look at the proud Father....
Handsome, isn't he?

8 Comments:

At 9:15 PM, Blogger MILLIE said...

It is spring lambing time here too. We have Boer goats. I'll blog some photos of them sometime. We've also had Angora goats--love them, love the fiber, don't like preparing it for spinning!! Nice photos--and you are so right--not enough people know where their food comes from.

 
At 12:13 AM, Anonymous Karen said...

I have to wonder - if more kids met the baby lambs, cows, chicks, etc, would more of them want to be vegetarians? As someone who doesn't eat meat myself, it always makes me think how weird it is that most of children's books anthropomorphize farm animals, then kids are expected to chow down on them at dinnertime. I'm not proslytizing here, just musing on another side of the issue. Those sure are beautiful sheep! I hope all of these have their spots in the right places...

 
At 5:03 AM, Anonymous kitsapFG said...

Love the sheep and the airship hangers in the background. Visited a similar one (airship hanger that is!) here in the states in Oregon year's ago - very impressive space inside of one of those!

Lambing and calving season is one of those official declarations of spring. All is right with the world when the babies arrive and the trees bud out and/or bloom.

 
At 5:46 AM, Blogger marmee said...

what little cuties. we hope to be adding lambs to our farm soon.

 
At 7:46 AM, Blogger Libby said...

They are lovely, thank you for sharing these with us!

 
At 5:32 PM, Anonymous CCM said...

Oh, man. Taking pictures of plane hangars? You'd have Homeland Security all over your blog in the U.S. :) I LOVE that last picture. So arrogant, so defiant, so proud to be a lamb!!

 
At 5:49 PM, Blogger Matron said...

CCM - These are actually pre World War 2 Airship hangars, and big enough to fit a whole Zeppelin inside. Nowadays they are hired out for film making. Batman and Austin Powers were filmed there in the past couple of years!

 
At 3:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

They are lovely sheep, thanks for sharing the pictures.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>