Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Sunday, June 28, 2009

Six of the Best!

I have never entered any kind of vegetable show! My joy is in the growing and especially in the eating. Since I have been pondering the idea of Matrons Worldwide Veggie Show 2009 I have been getting an idea of what competitive growers might feel. These are some of the first Sungold tomatoes this year. You might be tempted to straighten bent beans! You might get out a cloth to add shine to your tomatoes! Certainly in order to get 6 fruit or veg as evenly matched for size, shape and colour - you may have to grow quite a collection in order to choose.

Please don't take Matron's veggie show that seriously! Send me something to salivate or something to make me smile. There will be GOLD, SILVER and BRONZE awards, but variety is the spice of life!

10 Comments:

At 7:17 PM, Blogger islandgardener said...

I am hoping to have some worthy entries for you, Matron!

 
At 9:45 PM, Blogger tina said...

Sounds very interesting Matron. I haven't got much here yet. But finally my gooseberries are turning plum. I thank you for the tip to top and tail them. Those stems don't go down too well. I'll see what I can come up with. I just harvested a ton of garlic, but nothing that would make you salivate, like I am with your picture of the soft fruits. They look great!

 
At 10:02 PM, Blogger VP said...

My first garden show entry was a virtual one last year Matron! I then entered my local allotment show and it was a lot of fun :)

Do you just want photos, or can I do a post of my entry to hopefully drum up some support for you. I could do both of course...

 
At 2:07 AM, Anonymous Karen said...

Hi Matron - Your to-MAH-toes are lovely (did I say that right?). I didn't get around to very many veggies this year, alas, so it will maybe have to be snap peas (for matching) or various lettuces (for variety). I don't aspire to win a medal, just to participate.

 
At 3:08 AM, Blogger Dan said...

Your sungolds look great. I can't wait to try them for the first time this year. The peas in the photo I sent you are 'Green Arrow' shelling peas from the seed savers exchange. They are a very nice sweet pea.

 
At 5:47 AM, Blogger Catherine@AGardenerinProgress said...

I don't know if I'll have anything to enter by then. Your tomatoes should take gold though.
I have baby tomatoes on my Great wall of China seeds from you!

 
At 7:30 AM, Blogger Matron said...

VP - yes both would be much appreciated!
Karen - well done old bean! perfect pronounciation.
Catherine - so glad to hear your tomatoes have done well. Mine are almost changing colour now too.

 
At 8:38 AM, Blogger Celia Hart said...

I'll do my best Matron - but mid-June's a bit early for my crops (I might just be able to find some decent peapods or broad beans). The tomatoes, courgettes, green beans will be another month.

Where we used to live I entered the fruit, veg & produce show - with RHS rules. I think I got either second or first with my cherry tomatoes. It's so difficult to choose the representative vegies! And then there's that tricky stuff they do with raffia on the onion tops!!

Celia

 
At 4:32 AM, Anonymous kitsapFG said...

Considering my options for an entry. Probably wait to the last minute to give me the most choices for my final entry.

 
At 10:58 PM, Blogger Curmudgeon said...

My mouth is watering looking at those lovely little orbs of gold! Way too early here for tomatoes. We're just starting to se flowers on the red cherry.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>