Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Wednesday, September 01, 2010

Firsts on Matron's Patch

Back in the Spring most of my home grown tomato plants were badly frostbitten when I left them outside overnight. Many of them have recovered to grow happy, healthy plants. I did purchase a few plants from local shops just to ensure a good crop just in case they didn't recover. This lovely, large tomato is called Dombito, an F1 hybrid I wouldn't otherwise have thought of trying. Loads of lovely, clean beefsteak tomatoes. Grew well for me in the greenhouse.

Safely tucked away in the greenhouse, and still with the aid of a heated propagator are a few more tender veggies. I planted the seeds from a hot Scotch Bonnet chilli I bought from a West Indian shop. These will ripen through various colours, orange, yellow and red. If kept in the greenhouse they should survive without frost till Christmas!

Matron has never grown Brussels Sprouts before! Very proud indeed to see these little baby sprouts emerging from the armpits! This is a new F1 hybrid variety called Bosworth. I hope to be picking and eating these with my dinner on Christmas Day!
Also tucked away in the shelter of the greenhouse is this tropical hibiscus which is grown in warmer climates as Sorrell. I planted some seeds from some fresh sorrell I bought in a Caribbean shop. The plant is now about 4 foot hight and growing! This red fleshy outer covering to the seed pod develops after the pink hibiscus flower has faded. It is used to make sorrell drink, syrups and jams. The vivid red colour contains many beneficial antioxidants and is known to have many health benefits.
Continuing on the tropical theme, I planted some lemongrass seeds in the Spring. They have grown well and I have potted up the 3 main seedlings which survived.
Now in an 8" pot in the greenhouse it is also going great guns. The stalks can be used in Thai cooking and the leaves can be used to make a lemongrass drink. I look forward to trying these in the near future! Perhaps in a dish with my Scotch Bonnet peppers!

10 Comments:

At 2:14 AM, Anonymous ~fer said...

They all look great!

That sorrel looks very interesting. Very vivid and fleshy red. What does it tastes like?

 
At 7:53 AM, Blogger Rob said...

Hi Matron, I remember your Tomatoes getting frosted, They seem to have recovered very well.

 
At 9:00 AM, Blogger Matron said...

~fer - The sorrell has that dry taste that you get after unsweetened cranberry juice. I make a drink of them with cinnamon, anise, ginger and cloves.

 
At 10:08 AM, Blogger Sue Garrett said...

Our sprouts are struggling after a really good start. For some reason after having good sprouts every year for the last two or three years we have had problems.I am feeding well etc. Also followed all the instructions for planting metilculously

 
At 7:31 PM, Blogger Peggy said...

Hi matron,the range of plants that flourish for you is amazing!Our sprouts are out and struggling a bit with aphids(?).We have had terrific sprouts each year on the allotment but everyone is having problems this year which they are putting down to the hot dry weather, brassicas like the cooler wetter weather?!

 
At 7:57 PM, Anonymous Damo said...

All looking good Matron, first year for Scotch Bonnet for me too, very exciting!

 
At 6:54 PM, Anonymous Soilman said...

Great sprouts! They will LOVE your London clay!

 
At 4:24 AM, Anonymous ~fer said...

Thanks!
it sounds very good
i have never tried cloves on a drink

 
At 10:50 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

All the firsts look great! How nice to enjoy the fruits of your labour. I saw the sorell at my friend's and intend to visit the nursery to get one for my garden.

 
At 3:28 AM, Blogger thyme2garden said...

There's something about all your pictures that's just really appealing to me. Color, clarity, I don't know, but somehow I can't get enough of your pictures! Those tomatoes and scotch bonnet peppers just look so perfectly scrumptious, and they are not even all ripe yet!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>