Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Monday, June 27, 2011

Salford Black Beans

I've had some germination problems with these Salford Black BeansWith three separate attempts only 3 have germinated out of about 30 sown. The good news is that these three plants are healthy and vigorous. They have just started to set as well.

These beautiful jet black runner bean seeds were sent to me by Celia at Purple Podded Peas as part of my Buddy Morris memorial vegetable collection this year! Happily, these plants have a wonderful, deep bed of compost to grow in. I look forward to eating these, and saving seed for next year.

Meanwhile I'm still munching through some home grown strawberries. Have you ever tried Eton Mess? This can be made either with strawberries or rasberries, partially crushed, then folded gently with whipped cream and crushed meringue. A taste of heaven!

9 Comments:

At 11:41 AM, Blogger Kath said...

You've made me salivate!

 
At 12:06 PM, Blogger Celia Hart said...

Phew! At least you have some teeny bean pods - fingers crossed!

I had exactly the same problem - I tried seed I'd saved from 3 or 4 years and have only raised one plant this year! It seems my seed stash self-destructed.

Eton mesh = a very naughty pudding!

Celia

 
At 12:19 PM, Blogger LindaG said...

Wonderful! :)

 
At 7:37 PM, Blogger Peggy said...

Hi matron, we will have to try the Eton Mess! I wonder how it got the name, did someone drop the meringue and came up with plan B?!

 
At 7:51 PM, Blogger Matron said...

Peggy - it is supposed to have been invented at Eton public school. There is a celebration / festival in June at the boys school (probably involving rugger or running about naked.. or some such lark) and it is traditionally eaten there.

 
At 9:10 PM, Anonymous Damo said...

Love Eton Mess and it seems to be a great year for fruit so far, can never have enough freshly picked strawberries as far as I'm concerned!

 
At 7:44 AM, Blogger Rob said...

I have never tried that Matron but I sort of get the feeling I would like it if I did, especially with home grown fruit.

 
At 7:33 AM, Blogger melsanford said...

Looooove Eton mess! One of my fave ways to eat strawberries - it's what happened to all mine :-) I sometimes make it with natural yoghurt instead to be little healthier.... Love 'n' hugs, Mel xx

 
At 8:50 PM, Blogger Alison said...

Although I have been 'bad' enough to say I may leave the gooseberries to the birds, we have been picking the raspberries and strawberries and enjoying them for breakfast every day since moving here.

yummy!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>