Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Friday, November 02, 2012

Pumpkin Chutney

 What to do with still heaps more giant pumpkin? I made some spiced Pumpkin Chutney today.
 Closely supervised by my lovely kitchen assistant.
 One secret ingredient is the Gluhwein or Mulled Wine to replace some of the vinegar.
 And quite a few Christmas spices, including a bag of dried mixed berries.
 And hey presto!
Spiced Pumpkin Chutney!

8 Comments:

At 7:58 PM, Blogger Wyatt said...

Thanks for the great idea...I've been looking for new pumpkin recipes!

 
At 9:39 PM, Blogger Lee said...

Great stuff; we've still got 4 good-sized pumpkins left, so I'll definately be looking to make a pumpkin chutney. How long did you cook it for, as I wouldn't want to overdo it and turn it completely to mush?

 
At 9:56 PM, Blogger Gardeningbren said...

That looks delicious..truly. I couldn't get the link to work for the recipe you used though.

Also, do you know (bet you do)))dogs love pumpkin and in fact, willing to bet you can find a dog pumpkin treat recipe online.

 
At 12:00 AM, Blogger VirginiaC said...

OOOH Matron, pumpkin chutney is a fantastic and tasty idea to use up some of the pumpkin. I think I will have to try making some myself.
I see you have an overseer too (see my post today), but they are both good at it, don't you think??

 
At 4:51 AM, Blogger Matron said...

Lee - interestingly the pumpkin pieces stay whole! The apple pieces tend to mush and form the sauce. 20 minutes cooking with just the vinegar and wine, then about 50 minutes once the sugar is added. I just look at it to know when it is thick enough.

 
At 8:03 PM, Blogger Kelli said...

The pumpkin chutney looks amazing, what a great idea.

 
At 7:43 PM, Blogger Carrie said...

ohhh looks good :p

 
At 10:45 PM, Blogger Dragon Cotterill said...

I guess I'm going to have to use that recipe for next year... http://martin-way-plot30.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/on-legalities-and-pumpkin-festivals.html

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>