Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Sunday, October 06, 2013

Sweet Pickings

 These Beauregard Sweet Potatoes have been growing in a black plastic dustbin all Summer and they have been loving it!
 Beauregard is one of the varieties which grow well in the UK climate, but they still do best when it is really warm and fairly well drained. Well this Summer has been brilliant, and now the top is dying back a bit it is time to dig them up and see what is down there...
 I was amazed at the size of the main tubers near the surface.  No disease or scab at all, beautifully healthy plants with pounds of lovely Sweet Potatoes.
 There were quite a few smaller tubers further down in the soil, about a foot down where the roots had begun to swell into tubers.
 So back in the kitchen I cleaned and weighed them.  Just over 7lbs 7 oz all together!
 So I peeled and steamed a couple of the smaller ones for lunch! Fantastic!
I thought I'd try to grow a few cuttings for next year. They arrive as rooted slips when you buy them from the catalogue in Spring. I wonder if I can keep these on a windowsill during Winter...let's see.

9 Comments:

At 7:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those leaves are yummy stir-fried with garlic and salt.

 
At 8:00 AM, Blogger Mark Willis said...

What a great result. I have always shied away from trying to grow Sweet Potatoes because I have considered our climate unsuitable for it. If we had summers like this last one EVERY year, then I'd certainly change my mind!

 
At 3:51 PM, Blogger Stella on Age said...

Hi I have never grown sweet potato before, where did you buy the slips from? Is there a post saying how you did it exactly, many thanks Stella

 
At 5:54 PM, Blogger Peggy said...

If anyone can make them
grow ,you will!I enjoyed the posts on Istanbul, never been and not likely to so I enjoy your travels instead!

 
At 5:58 PM, Blogger Matron said...

Stella, I bought plants from my local garden centre this time. I know you can get slips from the Thompson & Morgan catalogue. Really easy to grow - no special instructions.

 
At 8:52 AM, Blogger Celia Hart said...

They look fantastic! Could you let a couple of small tubers shoot and then take cuttings from those?

Hope we get a good summer next year - this one has really cheered up gardeners xx

 
At 9:08 AM, Anonymous Elizabeth - Woolly Green said...

What a fab crop of sweet potatoes! :)

 
At 2:49 PM, Blogger Carrie said...

Oh my goodness! I had sweet potatoes yesterday with dinner; I adore them. Then I wondered if there was a variety that would grow here and, wow, you have just answered my question! Thank you, these are so impressive xxx

 
At 9:30 AM, Blogger Kelli said...

Looks a success. I always enjoy the flavour of sweet potato but like Mark I wasn't sure about growing them in the UK/Ireland weather.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>