Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Saturday, April 05, 2014

Pricking out

 I spent a pleasant afternoon pricking out these little tomato seedlings.  The first two leaves are seed leaves. Then, when the next two true leaves start to show I like to transplant them while they are still small.  Only handling by the leaves and NEVER holding the stem, I potted these up right up to the top of the stem so just the leaves were showing.  This means that more roots will form along the stem giving the plant a bigger root system to help it to grow.
 I always need lots of new plant labels this time of year, so I made my own.  This is a 4pint plastic milk bottle.
 Makes dozens of plant labels.
Meanwhile, under a dripping tap on a North facing wall, my Wasabi plant is really enjoying life at the moment.  Putting on lots of strong, green leaves.

3 Comments:

At 11:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good idea to make plant markers, there is never enough of them.

 
At 12:14 PM, Blogger Dragon Cotterill said...

I use milkbottle cartons as labels as well. They're damn useful. I also cut the bottoms off for pots, the handles into scoops. I've even used a lid to plug a hole in water barrel. I believe they are useful for holding milk too.

 
At 5:26 PM, Blogger Steve said...

Great idea for labels Matron, I am always running out of them.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>