Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Friday, March 28, 2014

A Perfect Day

 I had quite a remarkable day today.  I went to visit the Edible Garden Show which is on this weekend at Alexandra Palace in North London.  High up on Muswell Hill, that tall antenna is where most of us in North and West London used to get our TV signals from.  More from the show in the next post.
 But they knew I was coming.. so invited a selection of Royalty and celebrity just to make it interesting.  HRH The Prince of Wales arrived the same time I did (we came in separate cars) to have a look around.
 Once inside, it was then apparent that the BBC were recording Gardeners' Question Time at this show.
 So, James Wong, Pippa Greenwood, Bob Flowerdew and Christine Walkden, lined up to meet Prince Charles and the Duchess of Cornwall.
 So I floated into a side hall at Alexandra Palace and sat down.. a strange man with a beard appeared before us, but when he opened his mouth there was no mistaking the familiar voice of Eric Robson. Isn't it strange that listening to BBC Radio 4 Gardeners' Question Time for most of my life, his voice is so familiar yet his face is not.  Today was a real treat for me.
On the panel today, Chris Beardshaw, Bunny Guinness and Bob (Saint Bob) Flowerdew.  This episode is going out next Friday 5th April and repeated on Sunday 6th April.  Getting to see Saint Bob in the flesh was a real treat, and another tick on my 'Bucket List'. So for now it's 'Goodbye and Good Gardening'

6 Comments:

At 7:56 PM, Blogger Dewberry / Amanita said...

I like James Wong and the program he hosted "grow your own drugs". It was very interesting!

 
At 8:28 PM, Blogger Mark Willis said...

Brilliant!

 
At 3:51 AM, Blogger Cabbage Tree Farm said...

I would have liked to have met James Wong, I have his book and saw his TV show Grown your own drugs (lots of useful herbal concoctions). Excellent stuff.
Looks as though you had a fun time there Matron :-)

 
At 9:27 AM, Blogger Angie said...

Glad you enjoyed the visit to Ally Pally! Another bloging friend also went
http://jennywoolftravel.blogspot.com.au/

 
At 10:59 AM, Blogger Dim Sum Gardener said...

Matron, I was there too! Really enjoyed GQT and after listening to Bunny Guinness' tips about growing wasabi, I went in search of a plant but had no luck. Instead, I took home a Chilean Guava, a Indigo Rose tomato, a cloudberry and a black raspberry plant. There's always room for one more in the garden ;-)

 
At 1:07 AM, Blogger Carrie said...

That's Eric Robinson! Not what I imagined ☺

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>