Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Saturday, May 05, 2007

Stinging nettle soup

Now that the stinging nettles are growing well in the hedgerows, it is the time to put them to good use. Yesterday I started to make a fantastic plant feed using stinging nettles. Gather up a good carrier bag full of stinging nettles, leaves and stalks. All you have to do is scrunch them up at the bottom of a bucket and weight them down with a brick and fill the bucket with water. Just leave the nettles in a corner of the garden for about 2 weeks - you will certainly be able to smell when it is ready.

This is quite natural and a wonderful, nitrogen rich organic feed for all the garden. The smell comes from the breakdown of the plant matter, resembles cow manure.... and you may get a few flies showing interest. This green / brown liquid is highly concentrated and you dilute it one cupful to a gallon of water. Use it as a feed for plants. This can also be used as a foliar feed. It really works!

1 Comments:

At 4:13 PM, Blogger Frankie Baby said...

I certainly have plenty of nettles around so I might just try this. The only thing is we have half a plot so we're very very close to our neighbours- I wonder what they'll think of the smell!

I heard they make good compost activator too, so I've been trimming them down periodically and throwing them in the compost bin.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>