Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Monday, June 18, 2007

My First Tomato

Another first down on the allotment today. My first ripe tomato. Unexpectedly this 'Gardener's Delight' was first to the finishing post. It was a photo finish with 'Harlequin' who is a few days behind. Tasted divine! I do believe I am a whole month earlier than last year!

6 Comments:

At 9:58 PM, Blogger Wild Mood Swings said...

Well done you

 
At 12:29 AM, Blogger Lynn said...

Matron ~ I think I'm jealous!!! I have some green tomatoes on the "early girls", but can only hope for first week in July. Congratulations ;)

 
At 4:32 PM, Blogger Chris - Morbidly Obese Midget said...

Great stuff... i can't believe how many flowers you've got on that plant! My Gardener's Delight are still a long way off, having been held back by a tumble down the stairs as seedlings and a dose of Mosaic Virus which almost wiped them out. I've got a couple of flowers now though so hopefully it won't be a complete waste of time. How long did they take since yours bloomed?

 
At 6:18 PM, Blogger Matron said...

I had the first flowers in about March! Be sure to feed them every week while they are growing fruit. I learned last week that the mosaic virus is transmitted by aphids. Even if you can't see them, take precautions.

 
At 9:48 PM, Blogger clairesgarden said...

whopee!!! a garden winner!!

 
At 8:09 PM, Blogger Marc said...

I am growing "Gardener's Delight" for the first time this year, but they are not ripe yet. Good job with your's!

I am pretty new to your blog and I really like it. I am always looking for good veggie blogs. So much so that I started a site called Veggie Garden Info where I highlight and link to veggie garden bloggers from around the world.

I would love to used some of your posts if you would allow it. Please let me know what you think. You can contact me at the website or email me - Marc@gardendesk.com

Thanks, and keep up the great gardening!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>