Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Planting out

I decided to plant out my shallots today. I started them off in the greenhouse in modules just a few weeks ago.
They have put on a lot of new growth just in the last week as the days are getting longer now. You can see here what a lovely root system they have developed.
I prepared the bed a few weeks ago with quite a bit of garden compost and some hoof and horn meal (from Lidl) and I raked and weeded the patch. I have been fending off the neighbourhood cats who have been using it as a toilet!! Today I spaced the shallots about 7" apart and a foot between rows. Lots of rain and wind about at the moment so they should get a good watering in tonight.

4 Comments:

At 7:15 AM, Blogger Gary and Jen, and Ruby and Peter said...

Looking great.
Weather is atrocious down here in kent, and am struggling to get into the garden, I have some onion sets, and may start them off as you have done, guessing that a week in the conservatory will do them some good ?

Love the site btw

TTFN

Reads retreat.

 
At 10:56 AM, Blogger Louise said...

It's an age old problem with the cats, I have lost count of how many cats come through our garden, some stopping to relieve themselves! I am forever clearing it up. Your beds are going to look great, I love to see everything in neat lines. x

 
At 2:43 PM, Blogger Paul and Melanie said...

They look fantasic! Proves it's worth starting them off like that. I probably should have tried that with some onions...

 
At 2:09 PM, Blogger Tira said...

Those green tops look great-I'd be tempted to use some in my cooking! I think I am going to set out some garlic for garlic greens now. I now have all my veggies surrounded by wire-to keep out digging dog, pooping cats and greedy wild chickens.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>