Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Phew! What a Scorcher!

London is sweltering in the heat today! At 4pm it was still 88 degrees F. It must have been hotter at mid day. I don't look forward to travelling to work on the London Underground tomorrow! Meanwhile back on the plot, these International Kidney new potatoes are enjoying the rain that we had last night. There have been a few thunderstorms of late and the potatoes are just perfect at the moment. I am trying to dig them up fast because if they get much bigger and older they won't be the same.
A word of warning though. If this warm, wet weather continues we might be heading for another dreadful attack of blight!

7 Comments:

At 2:14 AM, Blogger Dan said...

It was that hot here all last week. This week is much cooler though at about 22c most days. Your tomatoes, pepper, cucumbers & squash will love it, mine certainly did.

 
At 3:28 AM, Blogger Green thumb said...

I sure wish that the weather improves for you and those lovely potatoes; though I am left wondering at how the theory of relativity works? Scorching for me is above 40C, and anything in the range of 28C-30C is perceived as pleasant!

 
At 3:32 AM, Anonymous Karen said...

Your pic is making me reallllly impatient to get to my own potato digging! Flowers on the blue ones, nothing yet on the Yukon Golds. No blight that I can see, but you never know when it will strike. I am just dying with curiosity to see if there's anything under those leaves! I got my camera to wake up so I hope at least one of the photos turned out OK for the harvest contest. :)

 
At 4:40 AM, Blogger Jeff Vandiver said...

Hi matron! Those potatoes look great! I really need to take some photos of something grouped in 6.....

 
At 9:46 AM, Blogger Kath said...

We are having the warm weather here but not a drop of wet!

 
At 11:55 AM, Blogger Carrie said...

The dreaded B word, don't say it!!! I live in Ireland Potato B ruined our lives once...

We have rain, glorious rain today, and all last night, no muggy sweaty sleep for me! Hoorah. However my hayfever is WORSE today, weird. Looking forward to lifting some of our earlies very soon - yours look lovely, very uniform and prize winning.....

 
At 2:13 PM, Anonymous kitsapFG said...

I am going to dig into the early potatoes this weekend - so I can make a large Fourth of July feast potato salad. Looking forward to it because digging potatoes is a little like a treasure hunt - never quite sure what you have until you dig into the situation.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>