Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Thursday, October 22, 2009

Bulgarian Giant Leeks!

I dug my first Bulgarian Giant Leeks today. I am very pleased with the final result. These are about an inch thick and the shaft of the biggest ones is nearly 3 feet long, add a couple of feet on to that for the green leaves and that is definitely a giant leek! I saw them in the Dobies catalogue last Autumn and thought they might be a bit of fun. These I will definitely grow again next year. I didn't look after them as well as I might have, so who knows, with a giant helping of well rotted manure and much more rain and watering than we had this Summer - who knows how much bigger they might grow next year?

9 Comments:

At 8:33 PM, Blogger miss m said...

Whoo-ey ! They are giant alright. Easily the size of three. And they look great, seems you managed leek moth quite well. Lovely !

 
At 9:16 PM, Blogger Carrie said...

Holy moly they are massive! Congrats. Hope they taste great. I think you're right about a bit more water and then they could be really WOW!! x Enjoy

 
At 2:16 AM, Blogger Katie said...

Wow. Now THOSE are some leeks! (PS - I have that exact same ruler. Weird!

 
At 2:44 AM, Blogger Mr. H. said...

Very nice, and at least twice the size of any I grew this year.

 
At 3:51 AM, Anonymous kitsapFG said...

Impressive! I did not grow leeks this year, and miss them this fall as a result. Nothing like leek and potato soup on a blustery day to make everything right in the world.

 
At 10:46 PM, Anonymous Rachael said...

Wow - those are HEEUGE - I'm gonna try them next year...

 
At 5:12 PM, Blogger Nutty Gnome said...

Those are impressive leeks Matron. I thought mine were doing well, but they're not a patch on yours! Nearly time for leek and potato soup season :)

 
At 6:19 PM, Anonymous Soilman said...

OMG

 
At 8:01 AM, Blogger Bob said...

Hi Matron, The leeks look like something worth growing. I see that you too are already planning for this next year. Bob.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>