Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Ruth's Pumpkin Soup

I have been overwhelmed with the urge to make home-made soups recently. So many wonderful veggies to chose from, it is so easy to make and healthy and tasty to boot. One soup recipe not to miss is this wonderful Caribbean pumpkin soup! courtesy of my good friend Ruth (pictured with Buddy!) This will certainly warm you up! 2lbs pumpkin diced into squares
1 scotch bonnet pepper
3 spring onions chopped
2 cloves garlic
dried thyme
1tsp salt & black pepper
chicken or vegetable stock
2 chopped carrots
3 chopped sweet potatoes
1 plantain, chopped (banana will do)

You can make this soup with chopped pieces of the vegetables, but I prefer to blend it to a smooth soup. Remember to put the scotch bonnet chilli into the soup whole when you cook it, but take it out before you put it through the blender - unless you can take it really hot!

9 Comments:

At 8:12 PM, Blogger Helen said...

I love spicy squash and/or sweet potato soup -- the perfect way to warm up in cool weather. The recipe sounds delicious. I think I'll adapt it to the ingredients I have and make it tonight. Yum.

 
At 9:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ooh I have most of those ingredients in the house and it'll make a small dent in my pumpkin pile. I've been drying out some chillis - are they hotter when they're dried or when they're fresh - don't want to find out the hard way, I'm a bit of a chilli wimp!

 
At 9:39 PM, Blogger Bonnie Story said...

Your friend is beautiful! The soup sounds like just what my tastebuds are looking for - a new twist on a kind of tired holiday standby. Thanks so much for sharing! Bonnie

PS: I noticed that the "Post a Comment" link colors is the same color as the background - I didn't see it at first until my cursor passed over it - would be something to maybe change. Have a great day!

 
At 2:27 AM, Blogger Tira said...

Ah your friend from Trinidad showing somemmore of our cuisine - and she looks like she never ages!

 
At 9:33 AM, Blogger Midmarsh John said...

I have never tried making home made soup. The wife of a friend who lived in the village used to make a wonderful tasty leak and potato soup you could almost stand a spoon up in. With a few rounds of bread it made a filling midday snack.

 
At 12:20 PM, Anonymous kitsapFG said...

I get on soup kicks in the winter too. This sounds like a great recipe and I have some pumpkins to use up yet!

 
At 6:56 PM, Blogger Shaheen said...

That seasonal soup does look yummy. Love the scotch bonnet! I like it hot.

 
At 12:05 AM, Blogger Carrie said...

Naughty carrot pic for you on my blog 'nesting'. Hehehe, what a whopper! ;)

 
At 6:12 AM, Blogger Kalena Michele said...

Hi there! I follow your blog and I have given you an award on mine. Thank you for your blog!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>