Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Saturday, May 08, 2010

Competition Winner!

It has been heartwarming reading through all these comments! Just so wonderful that so many people are encouraging biodiversity in their gardens in so many different ways - and taking pleasure from it! If you enjoy it, you continue. So many fabuous entries, a couple were carried away in the excitement and strayed well over the 100 word rule, and I am now left wondering what a 'six hole, three compartment sparrow villa' looks like!

After some deliberation I have chosen Celia, Magic Cochin from Purple Podded Peas as the winner! Well Done!

"A newt doesn't just need water - it needs bugs to feed on; a water forget-me-not leaf to fold around its egg; and logs and stones to hide under in the winter.

So here's my pact;

No weed killers and pesticides;

Nectar rich flowering plants;

A half buried log pile and bundles of dry hollow stems;

Seed-heads left on the plants through the winter;

A small pond surrounded by log piles and a bog garden;

Wild-flowers mingling in the borders and lawn.

And the wildlife has moved in.. hundreds of inter-connected life-cycles;

We're relying on each other to Thrive"

For me, this was the entry that was not just a long list of achievements, it was beautifully written, and it managed to link together a series of different things that are all essential for a successful outcome. We need to restore a delicate balance of both fauna and flora in order to increase biodiversity in our gardens. "Hundreds of inter-connected life-cycles; we're relying on each other to thrive" Excellent!

6 Comments:

At 8:53 AM, Blogger sonia said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 9:35 AM, Blogger Jo said...

Congratulations, Celia. It was interesting reading all the different entries.

 
At 9:44 AM, Blogger RobD said...

I can't believe my biodiversity plan didn't win - LOL! I maybe a bit slow this morning, but where was Celia's entry? Can you publish on the blog so for us all to see without having to go hunting through various comments on different blog entries? I'm always prepared to try and improve my plan >)))

 
At 9:51 AM, Blogger Kath said...

Well done PPP (who always writes poetically!)

 
At 1:45 PM, Blogger Chicken lover said...

Well done Celia, enjoy your RHS membership!
Jane

 
At 8:25 AM, Blogger Celia Hart said...

Thank you so much Matron and the RHS too.

I'll make sure I visit lots of RHS gardens this year to use my free pass - and do some write ups on Purple Podded Peas.

Best wishes
Celia

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>