Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Tuesday, June 01, 2010

Brussels Sprouts

I've never grown Brussels Sprouts before, but I adore them! Generally, I find growing brassicas of any type laborious and labour intensive. I spend most of the year batting away slugs, pigeons, snails, caterpillars and butterflies away from my patch. Anyway, I decide to give them a go this year to see if I can do it. These new Brussels Sprout 'Bosworth' are a brand new F1 hybrid variety. Supposed to stay longer, ripen earlier, shorter sticks and tighter sprouts. I'm hoping to pick and eat these on Christmas Day!
So far they look healthy and strong. I was given some advice by a wizzened old gardener some time ago as far as growing Brussels sprouts is concerned. You have to treat them rough, don't give them any special soil treatments, just dig a hole in the ground and tread them in with your boot! They like to be firmly tucked up down in the roots. I planted these as far up the stem as I could, watered them in and firmed them down with a boot.
A little bit late this year, but time has come to change the pheromone lure and sticky card in my plum maggot moth trap. You can see all the moths collected last year!
Replace with a new sticky card and a fresh pheromone lure. This contains the 'come and get it boys' smell from the female codling moth. All the little boy moths come from miles around to see if they can get lucky.... Works every time!

6 Comments:

At 12:41 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

My friend took me to her allotment when I was visiting her in Beccles. I wanted to see brussel sprouts growing. Also, had them for dinner:) Happy gardening!

 
At 1:58 AM, Blogger Kris said...

I, too, love Brussels sprouts (especially roasted with garlic and butter - yum!) So I'm growing them for the first time this year. Thanks for the tips. I'm probably going to have to use floating row covers to keep out the cabbage butterflies. I know from previous years (when I tried to grow broccoli) that those caterpillars can really do a number on brassicas. Hope we both enjoy a good harvest. :-D

 
At 4:34 AM, Blogger Petunia's Gardener said...

I will try a row cover for the broccoli this year. Though I must say I had a particular satisfaction from squishing the caterpillars last year...

Your squash seeds are on the way, finally! hope they make it!

 
At 9:55 AM, Anonymous Soilman said...

I had to give up on Brussels sprouts: my soil is very light and loose, so I always ended up with 'blown' sprouts and stems that needed endless staking and propping. Your London clay should do a better job!

 
At 12:42 PM, Anonymous dee said...

I love Brussels too.The first year I grew them I was too genital at the planting stage and I ended up with five plants resembling the leaning tower of Pisa *smiles*

 
At 1:54 PM, Blogger Paul and Melanie said...

I know what you mean about all the brasicas being hard work, I didnt grow any last year for that very reason. I'm forcing myself to sow some this year though because I know I'll regret it come the winter when there's nothing on the plot to eat... :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>