Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Saturday, May 08, 2010

Making Progress!

The soil is slowly warming up outside now, and although we have had a few cold nights in the past week things are definitely making progress. I bought a packet of this Runner Bean St George this year. I will start them off just for a couple of weeks in modules in the greenhouse just to prevent the mice and the slugs getting to them. I have prepared a lovely runner bean bed this year by emptying a whole compost bin into a trench, covering it with grass clippings and returning the soil over it.
Pumpkins, Squashes and Cucumbers are coming on a pace. Interesting to see that germination can be patchy. I planted 3 seeds of each variety and in all cases some have done much better than others. Most advice will tell you to plant 3 seeds on a mound and thin out to the strongest seedling. You can see rom the 3 on the bottom row that one is clearly head and shoulders above the other one and the 3rd didn't germinate at all.
I spent an enjoyable afternoon yesterday potting up my tomato plants into slightly bigger pots. They have spent quite a few days and some nights outdoors so far, they appear to be strong and sturdy.
I am just so pleased at the way my Isle of Wight garlic has grown. You might remember back in the Autumn I said this was going to be my final attempt at growing garlic because it had never grown well for me. Well, this Autumn sown batch have come up trumps, nearly doubling in size in just a couple of weeks. This one here is Early Purple and is almost as big as a leek! Splendid!
The peas in the background are Hurst Greenshaft, those in the foreground are Salmon Flowered Peas. The peasticks you see here are the tops of my Jerusalem artichoke stalks from last year! Just right for the job!

12 Comments:

At 8:47 PM, Blogger Cabbage Tree Farm said...

Everything looks like it's coming along nicely there Matron. I will indeed be interested to see how the pumpkins go! I had to resort to buying mine this year, it was so dry here all summer and we were away at the crucial time to get them established. I'm looking forward to growing them well next year.

 
At 8:54 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I thought I was late with my toms and have only just put them in the green house outside, but the weather has not been good enough to get them out

 
At 7:36 AM, Blogger Bangchik and Kakdah said...

Plants seem to be growing nicely. And your tomato plants look so eager to get out and be with the wind! ~bangchik

 
At 8:44 AM, Blogger Jo said...

Everything looks to be coming along really well. Some of my squash took longer than others to germinate, and some are growing much quicker than others.

 
At 3:19 PM, Blogger clairesgarden said...

things are growing! its always exciting!

 
At 8:02 PM, Anonymous Damo said...

Looking good Matron, that garlic is huge!

 
At 3:36 AM, Anonymous kitsapFG said...

I need to get my runner beans planted soon. Intended to do that this weekend but ran out of weekend! Your garden is coming along splendidly. It's fun to see how close you are to my garden on the timing of plantings and the general state of progress to date.

 
At 2:10 PM, Blogger Kris said...

Goodness. Those St. George runner bean seeds are huge. One can only imagine the how big the pods must get. Looking forward to following your bean adventures. :-D

 
At 8:50 PM, Blogger Kath said...

I never do well with garlic either - spring or autumn planted - it's always rather weedy! Yours looks the business!

 
At 9:36 AM, Blogger mark said...

With curcubits (and beans and any larger seed)try sprouting them in old ice cream tubs under the sink before you transplant to the modules. This even works with peas provided you transplant just as the root breaks the seed coat. No gaps then

 
At 6:25 PM, Blogger the garden harlot said...

seed babies and seedlings are one of my favorite parts of this year. they make life seem brighter, especially watching their progression of growth before i eat their final goods !

 
At 7:14 PM, Anonymous Window On The Prairie said...

Boy those beans are big. Wow. We had our first salad from the garden last night, and I was so excited I did a blog post about it. Happy Spring!
Suzanne

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>