Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Monday, June 21, 2010

Salmon Flowered Peas

I was fortunate to obtain some heritage pea seeds from Celia at Purple Podded Peas last year. Some of the first flowers from the Salmon Flowered Pea have just come out in the last couple of days. The foliage is bright green with thick sturdy stems. The flowers are appearing at the top of the stems in big sprays. Watch this space as they develop, it is going to be quite a show.
I cleaned up my Early Purple Garlic and they are drying on a bench in the shed at the moment. This is the earliest ripening garlic, and it has thick, hard stems which are still quite wet and will need a thorough drying off if they are not to rot while keeping.
Now this is a bit of a success story. I planted a seed from a hibiscus flower in Spring. This is the red, succulent flower which is dried and used in the Caribbean and Africa as a refreshing drink. Also known as Sorrell or Roselle, I have been re-potting this plant almost weekly in the greenhouse it is putting on a tremendous growth spurt. Does anyone know how large this shrub will grow before I might get flowers?
Another success in the greenhouse is this lemongrass which I grew from seed. Again I have been re-potting this every couple of weeks as it seems to enjoy the warmth in the greenhouse. I look forward to using it perhaps in a Thai curry, or using the leaves for a warm drink.
Finally, just look at these awful broad bean plants! There is so much pressure from everyone, everywhere not to spray blackfly but just look what happens when you don't! I will have to look round for some sort of veggie friendly plant spray. The ladybirds, the nasturtium sacrifice plants, the flowers to encourage beneficial insects just haven't worked. Grrrrrr!

16 Comments:

At 1:57 AM, Blogger lotusleaf said...

The salmon flowers of the pea are very pretty. Lemon grass makes a very refreshing cup of tea> Good luck with the aphids!

 
At 2:04 AM, Blogger Cabbage Tree Farm said...

Your purple garlic looks great. Yikes - a lot of blackfly on the broad beans alright!

 
At 4:53 AM, Blogger Catherine@AGardenerinProgress said...

What a pretty pea flower.
I think I remember seeing Roselle on Bangchik's blog My little vegetable garden. I think he even showed how to make the drink.

 
At 8:09 AM, Blogger clairesgarden said...

I would be tempted to take out a hoover and remove the blackflyw with that.

 
At 9:43 AM, Blogger Kath said...

Salmon flowered are one of my favourites. The peas that follow are small but very sweet.

I had a hibiscus in my old garden. It was a sizeable shrub!

 
At 5:20 PM, Blogger Kris said...

Oh my goodness, those black flies are a scary sight! I hope you can find a way to deal with them that isn't too toxic.

Love the blooms on your peas.

 
At 5:20 PM, Blogger Celia Hart said...

I might need some of those seeds swapped back! My peas are not well this year..

Fantastic looking garlic! I haven't dug mine but fingers crossed.

What sort of Broad Bean is that with the blackfly on it? I haven't a solution, but the Crimson Flowered ones rarely get attacked here - especially if we take out the top shoot (a lovely treat in a risotto).

Celia

PS what's wrong with my peas Matron?

 
At 12:44 AM, Blogger Bangchik and Kakdah said...

The plants seem to be growing well. About roselle, it will grow a little bit taller and then little buds will at the armpit of stalks. The little buds will bloom and bear fruits. I am not too sure if the pot is enough to keep with the vigorous growth... Cheers, bangchik

 
At 1:12 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

The pea flowers look gorgeous. lemon grass is growing quite wildy in my garden. You've done well.

 
At 6:05 AM, Blogger Dan said...

Wow that is alot of aphids! The salmon flowered peas are beautiful, such diversity in the plant world.

 
At 8:48 AM, Blogger Matron said...

Bangchik thank you - I have been re-potting every couple of weeks so I can see it going into a bigger pot before long.

 
At 9:59 PM, Blogger Mal's Allotment said...

Matron, the sight of that blackfly infestation has spurred me to fight my inhibitions and follow the advice in all the books (for the first time). I nipped out the tops of each plant. I hope it's not too little too late...

 
At 3:41 AM, Anonymous kitsapFG said...

What a gorgeous pea bloom! Garlic looks good too. Actually everything looks good except that nasty mess of blackflies ---- ewwwww!

 
At 11:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

just seen your blackfly problem dont know if you have tried before or against using but i found a weak solution of washing up liquid in a spray bottle sprayed on invected area does the trick for me,the water dries and leaves wash liquid which suffercates flys and on next waterinh or rain they fall off.like i say works for me good luck.

 
At 11:08 AM, Blogger gintoino said...

Beautiful pea flowers!
Does the lemongrass grow outside in your climate or you have to keep it in the green house? I grow mine iojn the garden - started up with a single stem and now I have a huge lemongrass plant.
Have you tried dishwashing solucion with those aphids? I've used it with success - just mix a tablespoon of dishwasher in a litter of water end spry them. If that dosnt work for you Pyrethrum should do the trick and is also veggie friendly

 
At 11:21 PM, Blogger Single Track said...

Hi there, lovely blog by the way.
Can you tell me when (&how) you planted that great looking garlic?

Thanks,

http://singletrackroads.blogspot.com
twitter.com/singletrackroad

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>