Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Sunday, September 05, 2010

Too Many Courgettes?

It seems to be fairly common this time of year to have just too many courgettes, gardeners just don't know what to do with them. I had an idea.
I had been hanging on to this dill pickle spice mix, but didn't grow any cucumbers this year, so as I love the taste of dill pickles (we call them gherkins here in England) I thought I would try using the mix on courgettes instead.
I cut, salted, rinsed and dried the slices of courgettes, then pickled them in jars with the spice mix vinegar. Will have to wait a couple of weeks to see how they turned out!
Thought you might like to see who I found lurking under a patch of weeds today! It just goes to show how readily nature takes over your plot if you just leave a little wild patch of weeds in the corner! I don't think this type of slug actually does most damage to veggies. It is the smaller mottled grey ones that do the damage!
And I'm still smiling this evening because a Hurricane and a Spitfire flew over my back garden today! This is part of the Battle of Britain memorial flight (minus the Lancaster) practising a few moves over RAF Northolt which is just about a mile away. The sound of those Merlin engines still has the hairs up on the back of my neck. A real treat!
Also, don't forget to take a picture of your canine garden helper for Matron's 2010 Dogblog and email it to me by 29th September. Include your blog address if you want me to put in a link too!

11 Comments:

At 6:32 PM, Blogger Peggy said...

Good luck with the pickle trial, at least having a glut allows room for some experimentation.It must have been a sight to see those 2 small planes buzzing around!

 
At 8:38 AM, Blogger Rob said...

Hi Matron, the courgettes look good, I hope your pickling works out ok. Shame the Lancaster wasn't there as well.

 
At 11:09 AM, Blogger Sue Garrett said...

Pickle courgette should be just fine - after all once pickled it's more the texture that you notice. We use courgette in piccallili as an alternative to cucumber.

 
At 5:16 PM, Blogger Kath said...

I love picled gherkins - grew some this year.

You should have had the chickens staying - they'd have made short work of the slug. Mind you, it takes mine longer to wipe the slug glue off their beaks after than it does to eat it!

 
At 7:08 PM, Blogger Carrie said...

wow, how could you not call them gherkins? It's such a cool word.

There should have been a warning before that massive slug beast photo! Arggghhh

Plus thank you for the dogblog reminder x

 
At 10:01 PM, Anonymous Damo said...

Courgette pickle, great idea.

 
At 11:24 AM, Blogger Nome said...

Oooh, I tried pickling some courgettes this year too. I diced them small and added onion too - they're fab with ham!

 
At 11:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have never seen pickled courgettes, great idea. This year we didn't have a lot of them, only one plant.

 
At 3:27 PM, Blogger miss m said...

Will you look at the size of that slug ! Thank goodness mine are tiny little things.

Pickled courgettes sound good !

 
At 4:35 PM, Anonymous Rachael said...

As the slug appeared below the pickle jars I was expecting you to say you had pickled the slug as well!

 
At 8:00 PM, Anonymous water barrel said...

Once again, I'm so jealous of your garden! To actually have a glut as you say, would be totally fantastic. Good luck with the pickling, I'm sure they'll turn out great.

My grandmother used to pickle just about everything and my uncles and aunts always liked everything she made.

Timothy - USA

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>