Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Wednesday, April 06, 2011

Heritage Beans - Sharing

I was going through my seed tins this week, and I have too many bean seeds for my own use this year. These two are much older, lesser known varieties that must be preserved.. so I want to share them to keep them going. This first variety is Mrs Fortunes climbing bean. Saved by the Heritage seed library, originally thought to have been obtained by an estate gardener at Windsor - a Royal connection!
Short, speckled beans, beautiful mauve flowers.
Borlotti type speckled beans.
The second variety I have spares from are Lazy Housewife! An old Victorian variety. A climbing French bean that is a really prolific cropper, beautiful cream flowers and loads of beautiful beans.
Can grow to 9 or 10 inches long if you grow them for seed. (update) I have now given all my spare seeds away. If you have asked for seeds they have been posted, all I ask is that if they grow for you, post a picture on your blog and if you have spare seeds then pass them on and keep these precious varieties going
!

14 Comments:

At 9:08 AM, Anonymous Nate said...

Pity you can't send seeds overseas... :(

 
At 12:59 PM, Blogger KatieLovesDogs said...

The borlotti beans are beautiful! I may try to find some. Maybe Baker's Creek carries them in the US. I love scarlet runner beans, too, because they look so pretty growing on my fence.

 
At 2:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How grand to pass on seeds to preserve them! I'm sure you'll have plenty who'd like to have and share the seed!

 
At 3:02 PM, Anonymous Caro @ Urban VP said...

Hello Matron, This morning I've been planning what to grow where this year and have a few Blue Lake bean seeds from last year. I fancied growing something a bit different this year and here you are with your offer! I'd love one or two of your Lazy Housewife bean seeds. Will email you with my address. Thank you! xx

 
At 5:30 PM, Blogger Doc said...

How very generous of you Matron, I would consider it an honor to obtain some of these seeds especially "Lazy Housewife". I sent an e-mail as requested.

 
At 7:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Matron I have tried saving some seed from beans this summer though Im not sure if I went about it the right way, just wondering if you could post some tips on how you save your bean seed.

 
At 9:11 PM, Blogger Matron said...

Kellee - simple, you just leave the beans on the plant to grow and grow, right through till Autumn when the whole plant shrivels and dries. The beans are ready to be shelled then.

 
At 5:00 AM, Blogger Jason Dingley said...

I love the feeling of community that seed saving brings. And how it adds something extra to the gardening experience when you stop to consider the heritage of each seed. Particularly your royal one.

 
At 7:36 AM, Blogger Chicken lover said...

Hi matron
Sent an email as the lazy housewife bean name made me chuckle :-)

Very kind of you to offer your beans and a good way of encouraging folk to grow one of the easiest and most productive veggies
Kind regards

Jane

 
At 11:08 AM, Anonymous Nate said...

Oh, what a nice thing to do - and that Mrs Fortunes is a beautiful plant, too!

 
At 11:20 AM, Blogger melsanford said...

Oh these look beautiful! Thankyou for the offer but I really think I ought to practice with something a bit more bog standard before I'm let loose on such special varieties :-) Love 'n' hugs, Mel xx

 
At 9:28 PM, Blogger Peggy said...

Hi matron, I have sown the seeds you very kindly brought with you last year.Glad you gave the description of the Lazy Housewife and I have made a note of it.

 
At 3:17 PM, Blogger Janet/Plantaliscious said...

Seed saving and sharing - wonderful. Sadly I already have too much of everything to fit in to the plot which seems to magically shrink every time I visit it -as compared to the middle-of-the-night planning and daytime sowing I indulge in.

 
At 9:11 PM, Blogger Anna said...

'Lazy Housewife' beans would make the man in my life smile so would love to try some if I am not too late. Email on its way :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>