Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Friday, April 15, 2011

A Trip to Market

I went for a trip to Borough Market today. This market is just nestled underneath the railway arches near London Bridge Station. I remember growing these Noir du Crimee tomatoes last year, otherwise known as Black Krim. (Krim = Crimea)You can get all sorts of everything at Borough Market.
I just love wandering around here, the produce is first class. The rule of thumb here is that if you don't produce the product yourself, you can't sell it at Borough Market.
so the butchers, fishmongers, bakers, cheesemakers or ostrich farmers have to have produced it themselves.
I wonder if someone nabbed this wild garlic out of a hedgerow somewhere? I hear it makes a tasty addition to stir fries!
A scarey looking monkfish on the fish counter!
Just over the road from the market is Neals Yard Dairy, the most wonderful cheese shop!
Staff in the shop know their stuff. They are happy to give you samples if you look hungry, or if you look as if you might buy. I had lots of free samples!
Bought a big hunk of Stinking Bishop and a strong and very ripe camembert that was virtually escaping from the packet! We sat outside Southwark Cathedral in the sunshine at lunch time and enjoyed a loaf of rustic French Bread and a runny camembert! Bon Appetite!

21 Comments:

At 7:38 PM, Blogger Gingerbreadshouse7 said...

What a wonderful post :o), boy do I wish I had seeds from that tomato, it looks delicious..almost like a Cherokee purple..The cheeses look good too! although I'm not familar with them:o(...thanks for the post , I felt like I had made the trip too :o)

 
At 1:59 AM, Blogger Ali H said...

Oh I LOVE Borough Markets and Neal's Yard! I spend WAY too much time & money there when i'm in London, and it's always worth it. I remember being gobsmacked the first time I saw the towering displays of dozens of different types of tomatoes! And love for excellent cheese means that visiting Neal's Yard is close to a religious experience. I think I even remember trying that Stinky Bishop... It was quite something!

 
At 2:20 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Borough Market here I come! Shall mark it as a 'must do' when I'm in the UK. Have heard it mentioned in glowing words.

 
At 2:34 AM, Blogger Lexa said...

Matron. Thanks for taking us along on your tour. I have always wanted to go to the Market some day. I especially loved the cheese. Your lunch sounded absolutley delightful!

 
At 8:32 AM, Blogger Midmarsh John said...

Goodness me, a tomato big enough to feed a family.

 
At 9:53 AM, Blogger melsanford said...

Fab pics! It looks like you had a lovely day :-) Love 'n' hugs, Mel xx

 
At 9:59 AM, Blogger Sue Garrett said...

We grew Black Crimea tomatoes once - not the prettiest of tomatoes.

 
At 12:48 PM, Blogger Lrong Lim said...

Wild garlic... hmmm, would love to try that out... and the cheese too!

 
At 1:52 PM, Blogger KatieLovesDogs said...

What a wonderful outing! In Indianapolis, we are just starting to build a strong local food community. It's really only been within the past three years that these kinds of businesses have sprung up. Before then, we had farmer's markets, but they were often once a month or very small. It's ironic, since the foundation of our economy in the state is agriculture. I think that our lack of local food markets is due to the preference of many Hoosiers (people from Indiana) for overly processed convenience foods.

 
At 1:59 PM, Blogger Dim Sum Gardener said...

My fave market! Used to work nearby and would pop by to buy my lunch on Fridays (slightly less busy than Saturdays). I must visit soon. Great pics Matron.

 
At 2:00 PM, Blogger Peggy said...

I will have to put it on my list to visit when in London it sounds fabulous!I like the idea you have to have produced it to sell it.Is Stinking Bishop a descriptive name for the cheese?!

 
At 2:38 PM, Blogger M said...

Actually the Noire du Crimee is not the Black Russian, but the Black Krim variety.

 
At 4:44 PM, Blogger Matron said...

Malchus Kern - Thanks for the correction, Noire du Crimee = Black Krim.

 
At 8:56 PM, Blogger allot of veg said...

We gatherd a handful of wild garlic on our walk yesterday, it makes a lovely omlette. My friend, who had been working in London, told me it was sold in Borough market, but £3.50 a bunch!
Wow! I can't quite get over that.
Perhaps the street of London really are paved with gold?

 
At 11:31 PM, Blogger Rob said...

The best Market I've been to! Rob

 
At 2:40 AM, Blogger Dan said...

Looks like a lovely place!

 
At 1:01 PM, Blogger Wild Mood Swings said...

All very Matronlike , I've sown Purple Cherokee , because I know Matron , has an obsession with Tomato's .

Gday all , best get back to my recipes and brew the lab won't take care of itself, Elderflower Cordial and Cider needs racking off.

 
At 7:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have the best Farmer's Markets near you! Cheese and French Bread, sounds delicious...with, perhaps, a little wine! I like the one fish-eye that can be seen behind and to the right of Monkfish! The cheeses look superb and love the name "Stinking Bishop"!

 
At 4:26 PM, Blogger Shaheen said...

Oh I want to check out Borough Market oneday, but not for the wild garlic. £3.50 for a bunch of wild garlic - that is ridiculously expensive.

 
At 6:45 PM, Anonymous Mini Greenhouse Guy said...

I managed to find some wild garlic while out walking my four legged friend too. I wasnt sure about trying it to begin with but im really glad I did! Fantastic.

 
At 6:34 AM, Blogger James Cooper said...

I love to try the wild garlic..how it taste..maybe by next month i can go there..! How I wish I can plant that kind of tomatoes.., I am so excited to taste it..

Daily Trading System Review
Daily Trading System Review
Medical Alert Necklace
Daily Trading System

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>