Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

When Matron went to Chelsea!

What?? Matron actually went to a flower show?? Whatever next! Worry not gentle readers, Matron was in search of fruit and veggies at the RHS Chelsea Flower Show today. It just seems to me that fruit and veggies are still the poor relation, the underdog when it comes to horticulture. Things do seem to be changing slowly however, and here's what I found.

Ken Muir had an amazing stand of ripe strawberries. You should have smelled them!

Lots of favourites on display, but this variety Chelsea Pensioner caught my eye.

Matron found a friend among the garden statues! Not sure I'd have room for these two though!

Lots and lots of gardening goodies to buy there. Matron will be displaying her swag in an upcoming blog. Watch out for part 2.

12 Comments:

At 5:47 AM, Blogger Wyatt said...

Wish we could have been there with you...sigh

Wyatt's Mom

 
At 7:00 AM, Blogger Paul and Melanie said...

lol love the Muggles sign! ;) I read somewhere that there was a lot more veggie stuff at Chelsea this year, doubt if that meant there was anywhere near as much as the flowers but it sounded like there was a bit more respect offered to growing food...

 
At 8:09 AM, Blogger RobD said...

I do like Chelsea Pensioner strawberries, great taste. So you didn't look at any flowers then...? ;>)

 
At 9:52 AM, Blogger Kelli said...

Looks fab! Was watching TV cover last night but your blog post is more interesting!

 
At 10:28 AM, Blogger Martin and Amy said...

Wow it looks like you have a great time! Would loved to have gone this time. We are going to Gardener's World at the NEC instead!! :0)

 
At 2:52 PM, Blogger LindaG said...

Wow. Those are some fantastic statues!
And the strawberries look great too. I really need to try those in a container, I think.
Look forward to your next post, Matron. :)

 
At 4:45 PM, Blogger Rachael said...

Jealous! really want to go next year. I am also going to Gardener's World Live instead. Did anyone nick a strawberry?

 
At 5:34 PM, Blogger Carrie said...

Oh my, an arch of strawberries, that is genius :)

I know deep down you saw a flower or 2 that touched you heart, you're just afraid to be open about it. lol

 
At 6:27 PM, Blogger Peggy said...

Those strawberries are fantastic!I could not see if they are grown in individual pots or one of those long grow bags?
I have been watching each evening on BBC1, but there seems to be lots of talking and not a lot of showing us the various stands, I look forward to seeing your part 2.

 
At 7:54 PM, Anonymous Damo said...

Looks great I've been watching the highlights, I think the veg collections are amazing, so perfect!

 
At 8:13 PM, Blogger Matron said...

Carrie - Ssshhhhh! you'll blow my cover!

 
At 8:15 AM, Blogger melsanford said...

Oh wow! Those strawberries look fab!!!! Love 'n' hugs, Mel xx

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>