Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Monday, May 02, 2011

Planting Out

Everything in pots is just growing like crazy at the moment. I have been able to harden off almost everything long before the ground is ready to take them. Last year, Sue very kindly sent me some Kent Blue peas. An old heritage variety of pea with blue flowers. These are well and truly ready to plant out, so they were put in the ground today with a lovely net to crawl up against a brick shed in full sun!

Another kind donation for my collection of Black veggies this year was from Kath at Veg Heaven, these Croatian Black Beans have shot up and have been planted out in a container up against a trellis on a shed. They look really healthy!

This Early Purple garlic is enjoying the full sun this year. I am making sure it is well fed and watered in this dry patch.

Another addition to my Black veggies this year is this Shetland Black potato which poked its head above the soil this week.

I planted my squash and pumpkin seeds this week. I have learnt over the years that planting curcurbits too early is a false economy because they are really set back if the temperatures are too cold for them. They stop growing and never really recover, some of these are;

Black Beauty courgette,

Dalizia cucumber,

Queensland Blue pumpkin,

Hunter butternut squash,

yellow straightneck squash,

crown prince pumpkin.

A few tomatoes will have the luxury of a cozy home inside my greenhouse this year, I am particularly looking forward to these Pink Berkeley Tie Dye tomatoes which Dan sent to me from his Urban Veggie Garden. Can't wait to see these multi-coloured beefsteak tomatoes!

Sugar cane is doing really well in the full sun! I planted these bits of cane in a shallow tray of sandy compost, but the roots are coming out of the base now. I think I will pot these up into a terracotta pot and let it send roots down. I'll find a sunny spot on the patio and let it grow free!

Other peas here, my Hurst Greenshaft are doing well. I have been collecting twiggy peasticks on my morning walks with Leo. Leo thinks that all sticks are his playthings and I doubt all of these will remain in place for much longer!

and on the subject of Leo


I thought I would take a cute picture of Leo holding a flag last Friday for the Royal Wedding.


But he had other ideas....

But I forgot there was a STICK attached to the flag!! Perhaps he is not the patriotic sort.... or perhaps he has republican tendencies??

19 Comments:

At 8:09 PM, Anonymous Damo said...

Sensible not to sow too early, I struggle resisting the urge. I'm also growing Black Beauty and Hunter which were good last year.

 
At 9:17 PM, Blogger Chicken lover said...

Hi Matron
must get some pumpkins sown, forgot last year!
My greenshouse is rapidlyshrinking now I am potting things on, are those plant labels plastic knives??
lovely pic of Leo x
Jane

 
At 12:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Everything growing in your garden and greenhouse looking marvelous! I believe you have 10 green thumbs! Dear Leo he does love his sticks doesn't he...his effort for celebrating the wedding is definitely note worthy!

 
At 4:38 AM, Blogger My Veggie Garden said...

I like the sound of them shetland Black potatoes. I'll have to see if I can dig a few up for my self. Good luck with everything.

 
At 7:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You must keep us posted on how the Kent Blue Peas do in the coming months ahead.
It's all coming up Roses!

 
At 9:56 AM, Blogger Sue Garrett said...

Lots going on now to keep up with isn't there? Our Red Duke of York potato tops look like your Shetland Black tops. Very decorative foliage but it seems to grow out as it gets bigger.

 
At 10:48 AM, Blogger Phoebe said...

I love the picture of Leo! Gardens would be boring without dogs!

 
At 10:49 AM, Blogger Robert Brenchley said...

Kent Blue is my favourite mangetout, really sweet tasting. I find it's best picked after the peas have swelled.

 
At 12:51 PM, Blogger Kath said...

The sugar cane is doing well. I grow Kent Blue peas. The flowers start off purple but age to a wonderful deep blue. They are mangetout as well. Fantastic croppers if you pick regularly.

 
At 1:22 PM, Blogger Paul and Melanie said...

All looking well in control there Matron! Will be interested to see how the sugar cane turns out... :)

 
At 4:55 PM, Blogger Doc said...

Think I will keep a few tomatoes in the greenhouse this year as well. I posted an update photo of Mrs. Fortune's Climbing Beans. Thanks so much.

 
At 8:24 PM, Blogger Dan said...

That Tie Dye tomato is looking excellent! To bad they didn't grow the first time I sent them, good thing there always is next season.

 
At 8:55 PM, Blogger melsanford said...

Fab piccies! My peas are a bit slow to start - could you have a word with them please? They might listen to you! The sugar cane looks fab! Mel xx

 
At 10:19 PM, Blogger Matron said...

Yes! plastic knives from the work canteen!

 
At 8:12 AM, Anonymous Soilman said...

I used to sow courgettes and squashes in early-mid April. But like you, I gave up after finding that they hate, hate, hate to be cold – even for a few days. As you say, they never recover.

Now I hold off on sowing until May 1st at the earliest. Ditto sweetcorn. If you put it out too early, it never really grows well.

 
At 1:35 PM, Blogger LindaG said...

Came over from Doc's blog and have already learned a few things.
Thank you for sharing your knowledge!

 
At 11:18 PM, Blogger Lrong Lim said...

Have committed the mistake of putting those seeds out too early... and I am still not learning!

 
At 6:18 AM, Blogger ~TastyTravels~ said...

Things are really coming along in your garden!

 
At 9:09 PM, Blogger Dim Sum Gardener said...

Hahaha Leo is definitely a republican!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>