Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Strawberry Jam

There is nothing Matron likes better than home made strawberry jam. Matron also likes a bit of crumpet.. providing that it is covered in home made strawberry jam.

It has been such an amazing year for strawberries that I couldn't resist making a batch. Not the easiest fruit from which to make jam, they have a low pectin content and a low acid content. Both of these elements are needed to get a good set. Here I used jam sugar which already has extra pectin added. I soaked the fruit in sugar for 24 hours. After this time the bowl was full of liquid as the sugar had drawn lots of water out of the strawberries. No added water was needed at all, though I did add some lemon juice to up the acidity.

So after some gentle boiling for a while the jam reached the setting temperature and was bottled up.

And labelled! Anyone for crumpets?

15 Comments:

At 6:07 PM, Blogger Gingerbreadshouse7 said...

You made it sound so easy to do :o) I don't know if we hav jam sugar here in the States, I've never seen it or knew to look for it...I'll do a double check next shopping time.

 
At 6:21 PM, Blogger Martin and Amy said...

Delicious!

I love all jams, especially strawberry.

Martin :)

 
At 6:54 PM, Blogger LindaG said...

And it looks absolutely delicious, Matron. :)

 
At 8:52 PM, Blogger Peggy said...

Hi matron, I love strawberry jam on scones with a dollop fresh cream!
I am never very successful with strawberry jam but your method sounds good, I will give it a try!

 
At 8:59 PM, Blogger Midmarsh John said...

Fair makes my mouth water. Haven't seen a Kilner Jar for years.

 
At 10:02 PM, Blogger Dirt Princess said...

YUM!!!! I want one!!!

 
At 10:17 PM, Blogger Kelli said...

Strawberry jam looks fab. Eton mess on last post looks a real treat. Both favourites of mine. Kelli

 
At 6:01 AM, Blogger Wyatt said...

Gosh, that looks good! We have had a bumper crop of Strawberries here in Oregon too. They are almost one month late...but flourishing now!

Wyatt's Mom

 
At 1:29 PM, Blogger Lrong Lim said...

Please count me in!

 
At 5:43 PM, Blogger Kath said...

Strawb and rasp - my favourites!

 
At 9:06 PM, Blogger Growth Spurts said...

Room for one more? It looks amazing x

 
At 7:53 AM, Blogger melsanford said...

Mmmmm - yum! I've made damson jam before but my strawberries always seem to get eaten before they get to this stage! Love 'n' hugs, Mel xx

 
At 6:40 AM, Blogger Paul and Melanie said...

Mmmmm I'm still a year or two away from having enough strawberries to make jam from but I can't wait, yours looks sooooo lovely! :)

 
At 2:42 AM, Blogger Dan said...

Your jam looks so tasty!

 
At 8:53 PM, Blogger Alison said...

Strawberry jam, yummy... it's my favourite. Mum always makes it and I have one of her delightful jars in my fridge. Might have to buy crumpets on next shop!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>