Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Words of Advice

My rhubarb has just taken off in the last few weeks. Warm days and bright sunshine have brought it on a treat. Just a few days of rain have really made it smile.
.... that and the extra bit of 'nitrogen feed' that comes down that end of the garden each morning!
The garden is starting to produce at last. This Purple Sprouting Broccoli made it through the Winter despite a covering of snow and a sustained pigeon attack in early Spring.
But the tomato seedlings are still tucked up in a heated propagator in the greenhouse at night. Despite some lovely warm, sunny days the nights have been well below zero.
A well known gardening proverb seems to be good advice, "Ne'er cast a clout till May be out" in other words, don't put your pieces of horticultural fleece back in the garden shed just yet because you may experience a late frost right up until the end of May.
If you don't take this advice, then you may suffer a few losses as I have here. The tomato plants nearest the greenhouse door caught a frost a few nights ago while I was tucked up inside with my hot water bottle!
The canny Scots know a thing or two about hardy plants. These pot leeks 'Cairngorm' are coming along nicely. I've potted them on and they are just spending a few more nights uncovered in the greenhouse to find their feet. They should be fine to be hardened off soon. I have not grown pot leeks before. These are a shorter length with a very wide shaft, compared to the blanch leeks which have much more length but not so much girth. Matron is of the firm opinion that it is what you do with them that counts....ooooh Matron!

15 Comments:

At 6:34 PM, Anonymous Keira said...

Nice post, I am really glad to be 1 of several visitants on this awful site : D

 
At 6:46 PM, Blogger Pink Fairy Vicky said...

My Rhubarb has also gone crazy over the last couple of weeks and thats without some extra nutrients!! Shame you lost a few plants but I am sure you have more than enough to make up for it!

 
At 7:56 PM, Blogger LindaG said...

Everything looks great, Matron! :o)

 
At 8:05 PM, Blogger ~~Melissa said...

The purple broccoli looks wonderful.//Me and my tomatoes are also waiting for May to be out. :-)

 
At 12:45 AM, Blogger Gardeningbren said...

Your tomatoes look fantastic! As for the little bit of nitrogen the rhubarb enjoy...well I do hate when one plant becomes a favourite..we almost lost a rhodo of all things, due to his highness. Just one half cause of course, that was the half that was always attended to ;-)over winter. Needs a trim though and should recover.

 
At 2:47 AM, Blogger Wyatt said...

Your weather is the same as ours here in Oregon. We have had a few days of warm sun, but it is still too cold and wet for most crops. We tend to plant too early and end up replanting...it's so hard to wait!

Wyatt's Mom

 
At 10:46 AM, Blogger Sue Garrett said...

We have plenty of fleece in our greenhouse too

 
At 1:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's not the month of May, BTW it's the May flower. Makes better sense really when you think about it as flowering is going to be weather dependent.

 
At 6:01 PM, Blogger Matron said...

Anonymous - thank you, that is interesting and it makes much more sense.

 
At 8:44 PM, Blogger Kelli said...

All your plant look really good, except those poor tomato plants of course. We seem to have had alot of frost this month.

 
At 8:26 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I had a similar problem with some of my tomato plants... currently raising a few extra and hoping for warmer overnight temperatures!

http://sylvansomethings.blogspot.co.uk/

 
At 11:22 AM, Anonymous growing tomatoes said...

I am sooo jelous of your purple sprouting. It's lovely to still be eating now. Your tomato plants are looking good - exept the one that got frosted!

 
At 7:01 PM, Blogger Midmarsh John said...

By the advance weather warnings for May I think you will need the fleece for a few weeks yet Matron.

 
At 10:07 PM, Blogger Matron said...

Someone changed the look of my blogger dashboard! I can't find anything. I want my old one back!

 
At 8:12 AM, Blogger Steve said...

hi Matron

A few of my plants caught a cold with the frost we had a few weeks ago. You are right about waiting until May, that applies here in Brittany to as I found out the hard way.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>