Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Wednesday, November 07, 2012

Dried Pumpkin

 I'm still making valliant attempts to use up my prize winning giant pumpkin before it rots away.
 I must admit, more than half has already gone on the compost heap, it is just too big to deal with and isn't doing well indoors.  Leo is doing his best to help the process along.. if you look carefully at the right hand point of the pumpkin (click on the picture to enlarge) you will see some suspicious 'nibbling' type marks!!! Thanks for helping Leo!
 So pounds and pounds of pumpkin chunks were laid out on the shelves of the dehydrator.
 And just 24 hours later they had almost disappeared to little dry pumpkin chips.  Just goes to show just how much water there is in this type of giant pumpkin.
 So I may find a use for these little pumpkin chips over the next few months? in soups, stews, muffins, curry?? who knows.
I might just put this jar of dried pumpkin chips in the freezer and they will last a bit longer.

9 Comments:

At 8:44 PM, Blogger VirginiaC said...

Matron, that is a fantastic idea!!! I purchase dried apple chips all the time. I may have to get me one of those dehydrator machines, and save myself some money.

 
At 8:04 AM, Blogger Captain Shagrat said...

you are a clever girl...kisses to the ever funny Leo, keep up the nibbling

 
At 9:07 AM, Blogger Celia Hart said...

Does your sister still have her hens? They would like a slice or two to peck at ;-)

Celia
x

 
At 9:24 AM, Blogger Sue Garrett said...

How do they taste as nibbles?

 
At 10:15 AM, Anonymous alimary said...

Pumpkin Bread with walnuts is excellent!!

 
At 10:17 AM, Anonymous alimary said...

Pumpkin Bread with walnuts is excellent. Good Christmas present too..

 
At 6:27 PM, Blogger Kelli said...

I've never heard of dried pumpkin but sounds good.

 
At 10:04 PM, Blogger Gardeningbren said...

I wonder if you whiz them in a food processor, could you then add to baking..like breads or cakes. What a fantastic idea to dry the pumpkin.

 
At 9:22 AM, Anonymous Ollie Fuller said...

Looks yummy and delicious.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>