Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Saturday, October 19, 2013

A Taste of Autumn

 I love this time of year.  I went to the Taste of Autumn festival this week which is on at RHS Wisley from 16th-20th October, so it is still on this weekend if you want to go.
 All sorts of edibles on display.  This Winter Squash caught my eye. Autumn Crown is a F1 hybrid and its parents are Crown Prince and Butternut Squash. With such a pedigree this will be a star.
 I found some Quince on sale too.  I bought a bag of Quince so I think a few will be making their way into an apple pie, and the rest into jelly.
 A local brewery was selling one of their Real Ales called 'Posh Pooch'
 and no trip to Wisley would be complete at this time of year without a stroll through the fruit field.  I love this orchard, it is one of my favourite places in the world.
Free food!

4 Comments:

At 7:58 PM, Blogger Rachael said...

I have been trying to grow Autumn Crown for a few years, this is the first year I have had any fruit. Haven't tried it yet...

 
At 2:40 AM, Blogger Dan said...

I grew autumn crown this year, they did well given they did not receive enough direct sunlight. I have extra seed in the pack if you are interested.

 
At 7:39 PM, Blogger Kelli said...

Gourds and pumpkins are real beauties this time of year. The apples look a delight.

 
At 10:11 AM, Blogger Caro said...

I too love the orchard at Wisley - it's an amazing sight to see close up and reminds me of one of the homes of my childhood where there was an orchard at the bottom of the garden. Oh to have that garden now!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>