Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Sunday, February 02, 2014

Seville Orange Marmalade Part 1

 For just a few short weeks at this time of year the bitter Seville Oranges are on sale.  As the allotment is currently under water, it seems that making marmalade is a good way to pass the time indoors.
 The outer zest takes quite a bit of cooking to soften properly so I snip it into thin strips.
 This whole process is quite labour intensive but needs to be prepared well.
 Seville oranges have an amazing number of pips to remove. Probably 2 to 3 pips in each segment to remove. These will be placed in a muslin bag during cooking to release their pectin.
But the pips contain a large quantity of pectin which is what helps the jelly set when cooking.  I soak the chopped fruit and pips in half the quantity of water for 24 hours to help the pectin come out of the fruit before cooking.  More tomorrow.

3 Comments:

At 11:42 PM, Blogger Gardeningbren said...

Good..more tomorrow. This pectin thing. Would rather natural pectin, like when cooking quince. First foray, removed all the seeds so didn't jell well. Years ago.

 
At 12:39 AM, Blogger Bangchik and Kakdah said...

It does sound a little bit time consuming, but very rewarding...

 
At 1:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been wanting to make marmalade for a while but the written directions seem a little daunting. One question I have, You talk of using the peel, fruit, pips. I notice there seems to bee a rather thick pith showing in your photos. Do you cut the fruit out and discard the excess pith? Can't wait for the rest of your marmalade post.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>