A little piece of heaven right here in West London is the Seeds of Italy
HQ, I went there this weekend for a peek at their new 2014 catalogue and to enjoy a festive celebration with free Panetone and Coffee!
Paolo is the seventh generation of seedsmen here, someone with whom I am not afraid to have a totally nerdy conversation about varieties of vegetables! His knowledge of the regional vegetable varieties in Italy is just amazing! Many varieties suit the British climate well, Italy has its share of cooler, wetter climates too.
So my early Christmas treat was to browse the shelves for unusual vegetables!
I was in veggie heaven!
So much to choose... so what did I go for?
- officially I must call this a decorative shrubby plant, for it is not legal to sell it as a natural sweetner... 250 times sweeter than sugar!... might mix with some rhubarb next year..
- just sounds wonderful
Long red Onions
- I've tried these before, they are amazing
Climbing yellow flat beans
- won't these look wonderful with my purple Blauhilde next year?
- a soothing herb to promote relaxation...after a hard day turning the compost heap
- I look forward to making some interesting drinks next Summer..aniseed gin anyone?
- Never grown this before, always wanted to....can't wait.