Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Friday, May 02, 2014

White Asparagus

 I've been away for a short trip to Germany.  Berlin, Meissen, Dresden and Colditz Castle.  I was way beyond excited to learn that the famous German White Asparagus is in season right now and available everywhere.
 White asparagus is grown without light, underground or in the dark.  It is in season at the moment and sold in restaurants and shops.
 For some reason... I can only think of an obvious one.... the larger spears are labelled as 'Spargel Dick'
 Unless I am losing something in translation... Matron was highly amused!
 Needless to say, I took every opportunity to enjoy this seasonal delicacy.
To be really honest, I don't think it has as much flavour as a good English Asparagus in season. Nothing in the world can beat the flavour of English Asparagus.  England 5 - Germany 0

5 Comments:

At 7:29 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

hello Matron! I follow you, every post, from Italy.
You seems very proud of your asparagus. I would try too the English one.. Here in Italy we cannot complain about our, but I am a bit inquiring to know it "yours" are better!! :)

 
At 7:30 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

hello Matron! I follow you, every post, from Italy.
You seems very proud of your asparagus. I would try too the English one.. Here in Italy we cannot complain about our, but I am a bit inquiring to know it "yours" are better!! :)

 
At 7:36 AM, Blogger Celia Hart said...

I think the greenness is part of the beautiful flavour - white asparagus is a just different and not as good.

 
At 4:14 PM, Blogger HelenB said...

"Naughty" is in the eye of the beholder. "Spargel Dick" means simply "thick asparagus".o

 
At 7:34 PM, Blogger Lee said...

Enrico, I might be able to help you out there. We were just in Rome on holiday and bought some fantastic green asparagus from Testaccio market. It was exactly like the stuff we get over here, although probably some of the biggest spears I'd ever seen. Personally I like them a bit smaller, so they can be bbq'd or grilled without any need to pre-boil.

I've never had the white stuff, apart from out of a jar. I've heard some people, usually from the Low Countries, absolutely rave about it. Is the taste similar?

"Spargel Dick", that's classic. My favorite German translation is the one for "ambassador": "Botschafter". Fnarr fnarr...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>