Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Monday, July 31, 2006

Hardy winter crops

I have been making an effort this year to try to fill what is called "the hungry gap" - the period of time between January and March when Autumn crops have been used and Spring crops have not yet arrived.

Leeks - my old friend, can be dug up out of frozen soil and under snow always there, a reliable crop for the hungry gap. I tried some "January King" cabbage last year - they started out wonderfully but after a short holiday I came back to find them looking like a paper doylie, a lace curtain, fish net stockings... whatever. Purple sprouting broccoli - such a long hard winter last year that something ate my broccoli, I think it might have been pigeons.

So I have just sown some chinese cabbage, endive, perpetual spinach and golden turnips. All have come up, but I think the slugs have eaten all the chinese cabbage. I have bought 6 purple broccoli plants, they are growing beautifully - having to rub off caterpillar eggs every day.

So, armed with sprays, pellets and nets... LET THE BATTLE BEGIN!

2 Comments:

At 11:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hallo matron have just found your page wanted to know how to string onions just read your comments about winter veges u made me laugh would like to know how to get a heart on my cabbages as all mine have none.

yours digger

 
At 10:01 PM, Blogger Matron said...

anonymous - cabbages take ages and ages to grow. Did you plant the right sort of cabbage for the right season? there are cabbages that sould be planted at different times of the year.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>