Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Saturday, July 28, 2007

Vitelotte Potato

I dug up some of my black potatoes Vitelotte today. Blog readers can look back at my post of February 24th this year to see that I bought just 3 tubers of these French potato variety (also known as Black Truffle) on a trip to Borough Market. These have a similar taste, texture and appearance to the pink fir apple varieties. The colour 'bleeds' from the raw tubers in the same way that beetroot do. You must watch your hands and clothing for stains! When cooked they keep a wonderful dark purple colour, although the cooking water was a very bright green, turquoise colour! Taste is delicious, slightly waxy.

7 Comments:

At 3:47 AM, Blogger Ottawa Gardener said...

Nifty. My eldest daughter's favourite colour is purple, I'd bet she'd love mashed potatoes made with these.

 
At 7:41 AM, Blogger clairesgarden said...

they look fantastic, I grow potaotes in buckets and am always amazed at the amount that comes out of them. then the little 'seed' potatoes that you miss come up in the garden 'for free' next year. great!

 
At 4:53 PM, Blogger Tracey said...

Oh, my!!!! These are fabulous, just fabulous!

Matron - I am tagging you for 8 things - I hope you'll 'play'! Visit my blog to see what I mean.

Tag! You're it! Players list 8 facts/habits about themselves. The rules of the game are posted at the beginning before those facts/habits are listed. At the end of the post, players then tag 8 people by posting their names and make sure they know they’ve been tagged by leaving a comment at the tagee’s blog.

 
At 10:13 PM, Blogger Candybrain said...

wow!! where can u get hold of these??? i wanna try and grow some! Am i too late now :(

 
At 11:12 PM, Blogger Matron said...

I bought them at Borough market in London. They are a French variety of salad potato. They were sold to eat, but I decided to try and grow some. I've not seen them in the UK. You might try a day-trip to France at a garden centre in Calais? or Borough Market

 
At 3:05 PM, Blogger Tira said...

Lovely. I LOVE the taste of fresh dug potatoes. Have tried twice to grow them, without luck! I know my mother grew marble sized ones when I was a child, so I know its possible, here.

 
At 9:18 PM, Blogger Sarah J said...

Just came across your little blog about Vitelotte potatoes as I stumbled upon a potato farm in Kent and bought some of these potatoes as well as Pink Fir Apple potatoes and wondering if I can grow them on.
https://morghew.com/shop/vitelotte/
I'm a potato grower novice and your post about Vitelotte has given me a boost to give it a try.

Sorry to dig up an old blog, but great to see old posts out there to help others :)
P.S. Borough Market is awesome and my cupboard is full of herbs, spices and condiments thanks to the market!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>