Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Sunday, March 30, 2014

The Edible Garden Show

 More from the Edible Garden Show at Alexandra Palace this weekend. One of the attractions for me was to visit this iconic building in North London in Muswell Hill. I always wanted to go.
 Included in the range of subjects around Edible Gardens was keeping chickens! Lots of chicken stuff there, and quite a few hens, cockerels and a few turkeys in cages.
 This watering system took my interest for a while.  It is powered by a solar pump connected to an automatic watering system.  Great fun!
 An interesting range of pop-up plastic cloches and greenhouses.
 and my favourite find of the day was from Brandy Carr Nurseries in Wakefield, Yorkshire.
 You can grow your own Liquorice plants!!!  Completely hardy, it grows up in Yorkshire quite happily. I am going to find a muddy corner somewhere on my patch to grow Liquorice!!  What fun!
This looked interesting on the Suttons Seeds stand. Not only did they sell grafted tomato plants (that's good varieties grafted on to strong rootstocks)  but they had double stemmed plants, and even 2 varieties grafted on to one rootstock... that's like they do with fruit trees!   I didn't buy one, but I could sure pinch out and prune my own tomato plants to grow with two stems! Simples!

2 Comments:

At 1:10 AM, Blogger Carrie said...

Liquorice -I find it disgusting but growing my own would be a treat! What a location too - happy days.

 
At 10:03 AM, Anonymous Kassie said...

I love the thought of having a few chickens! Sadly I do not have the space at the moment - perhaps in a few years when I have a bigger garden...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>