Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Piccalilli

Now is the time of year when all the ingredients for this lovely, Summer pickle are in season.
3 pints white vinegar
3 teaspoons ground ginger
6 teaspoons mustard powder
9oz sugar
6lbs chopped, beans, carrots, cauliflower, courgette, small onions, soaked in brine overnight.
1 tablespoon flour
1 tablespoon turmeric.

Mix the vinegar, ginger, mustard and sugar and boil up to a syrup. Add 6 lbs of vegetables cut into about 1 inch sizes, depending on how you like your pickle. Boil the vegetables in the vinegar syrup for 20 minutes. Drain these vegetables and pack into warm sterilized jars. Set aside the vinegar syrup. Mix together the flour and turmeric into a paste with some cold water and gradually add the hot vinegar. Boil this for 3 minutes until it thickens slightly. Pour this over the veggies in the jars and tap out all the air bubbles. Seal the jars while still hot.

4 Comments:

At 10:14 PM, Blogger Christa said...

That sounds delicious. I love anything pickled!

Thanks for visiting my blog today.

 
At 11:56 PM, Blogger Yvonne said...

Nice blog you've got there. What lovely vegetables. Happy harvest to you.

Cheers, Yvonne, aka Country Gardener

 
At 2:17 PM, Blogger Hx said...

Yum!

 
At 1:35 AM, Blogger My Chutney Garden said...

I will definitely try this recipe.
Thanks. We call it Chow Chow here in Trinidad. And we eat lots of it at Christmas time with our baked ham.
Sharon

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>