Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Thursday, March 13, 2008

Potting up

I spent a couple of happy hours in the greenhouse yesterday, 'potting up'. With my Radio4 playing in the background, along with the howling gale outside, I managed to pot up all my little tomato seedlings. Alicante, Moneymaker, Sungold, Country Taste, Golden Jubilee and Garden Pearl. Please note the re-use of plastic cutlery and white plastic washing up liquid bottles as plant labels.
I was lucky enough to do a seed swap recently and obtained a heritage variety Purple Podded Peas. I sowed them into toilet rolls and allowed the roots to develop before hardening them off outside over the past few weeks. I understand that like many old varieties, these grow very tall, so I have erected some 8ft bamboo poles into a wigwam.
Finally, a sight I have been waiting for.. my first signs of purple sprouting broccoli have appeared. Much more to come over the following weeks. Spring is almost here! Hooray!

8 Comments:

At 11:53 PM, Blogger Today: In Seven said...

Stumbled in and just wanted to say hi. Thanks for this. I look forward to watching your garden grow as I embark on my own garden.

I would like to invite you to leave a comment on my blog. At my blog I ask people to tell me about their day in seven words or less. Just leave me a comment with your seven words, you can do it anonymously. If you'd rather not, then have a nice day.

http://todayinseven.blogspot.com

 
At 1:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hello! just found your blog. love it.
i don't know why but the sight of little potted seedlings, all nice in their organized rows with id markers, send me over the moon. :)

 
At 2:00 PM, Blogger chey said...

Hi Matron! Thanks for your comment on my blog! I think you will really enjoy Halifax. It's a beautiful city- not too big, very artsy, and quite historic, especially down by the waterfront. The Maritime Museum was very interesting, and the Titanic exhibit was very cool.

You have a great blog here!I wish I could grow veggies, but there's just too much herbicide use in our subdivision that would drain into the property.I have to stick to flowers! Cheers!

 
At 8:33 AM, Blogger fiona said...

hooray indeed!

I do my potting up to radio 4, too .. its an essential part of the process :-)

 
At 11:35 PM, Blogger Wild Mood Swings said...

I survived the sharks , heelo from Aussie.

Loving the sun

 
At 10:09 AM, Blogger Heather @ Wiggly Wigglers said...

Hi Matron,

It's all looking good on your plot. I have grown Moneymaker and Sungold (I love sungold) before, but don't know the others. Are they good and sweet?

 
At 1:50 AM, Blogger Petunia's Gardener said...

Nice progress you have! I've planted my sungold seeds. Do you have a grape or other small type you really like? We had some from the neighbor you met...who now is moving out of state :( ... I liked them and would like to grow my own.

 
At 7:25 AM, Blogger Matron said...

Petunia - I grew a wonderful yellow grape tomato last year called Ildi. Do a word search on this blog and you will see them. About a hundred tomatoes on each truss, really good. I would love to send you some! I have loads left. Can you email me your address?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>