Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Make your own hormone rooting liquid

Did you know you can save money and do your bit for the environment by making your own hormone rooting gel? All you have to do is pick a bunch of willow stems, put them in a glass or vase of water for about 24 hours.... that's it ! The active ingredient found in willow stems is rhizocaline, a substance which is the active ingredient in many proprietary ready-made hormone rooting powders and solutions. All you have to do is to dip your cuttings into this solution. I'm not sure how long you can keep it once made, but it is not difficult to make some more - and it's free!

8 Comments:

At 11:19 PM, Blogger Mrs Be said...

Goodness, you are a font of useful information! Must try this as well as have large willow tree in the garden.

Thanks for the link (and comment) - I've linked to you but am a little confused (doesn't take much); are you called Down on the Allotment or Veggies-Only? Or doesn't it matter?

xx

 
At 1:52 AM, Blogger Lets Plant said...

That is very good information! Thanks!!

 
At 3:54 AM, Blogger Garrett Sawyer said...

Ok, Now I need to find a willow...lol. Does that work with Palms, sycamores, poplars, ash, oak, walnut, olive, mulberry, eucalyptus trees? Those are mostly what is around my area here in my city in southern California. Actually, there are many more, but those are some of the only ones I know how to identify. I've read somewhere that in southern California, we have the most diversity of trees in the world. I think we do, just looking around from my house, I don't see more than one of each, unless in small clusters (except palm and pines).

 
At 8:18 AM, Blogger Yolanda Elizabet Heuzen said...

Thanks Matron for this very useful tip!

 
At 6:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, I've never heard of this...must try it...there's loads of willow behind our house so I've got a plentiful supply.
Margaret and Noreen

 
At 8:31 PM, Blogger WeekendFarmer said...

Hey Matron - we got the chics for this year. Come visit..
You sure you dont want some hens : )

wf
http://weekendfarmer.blogspot.com

 
At 10:57 PM, Blogger Maggie said...

I love your blog, you have great ideas, this and the photos of the comfrey tea are great.
Please join Kitchen Gardeners International on line, you have lots of good info to share.
Maybe some of your readers would also be interested.
Good luck with the dogs.

 
At 8:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,Thanks for your good information

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>