Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Wednesday, April 09, 2008

PSB

After all the waiting, all the netting and the protection given - my PSB is in full flood! The taste and texture of freshly picked broccoli is out of this world. This time of year there is virtually no danger of finding any critters on the leaves as it is too cold outside so they barely need rinsing under the cold tap before plunging into a steamer for about 5 minutes. When cooked these were a vivid, vivid green colour. Just dosed with a little butter - it makes all the hard work worth while.
I found some Vivaldi salad potatoes for sale in Sainsburys a couple of weeks ago. Ate some then forgot about the few remaining in the sack. A couple of days ago I discovered they had started to sprout, so I brought a couple into the light to chit for a while. These Vivaldi potatoes are a new variety advertised in the Thompson & Morgan catalogue. Thought I might plant these into a large container and see what happens.
My purple podded peas are doing well since planting out a couple of weeks ago. Since I pinched out the lead shoot there are several shoots coming from the plant now. They are just beginning to climb up the pole. Looking good.

3 Comments:

At 12:46 AM, Blogger The Diva said...

Yumm, nothing like fresh broccoli.~~Dee

 
At 9:28 AM, Blogger Yolanda Elizabet Heuzen said...

Lovely the first broccoli of the year. I'll have to wait for mine till next year as I've just sown the purple broc. Pity that it turns green when cooked, I'd prefer it if it stayed purple.

Good luck with the Vivaldi spuds!

 
At 10:10 PM, Blogger Bob said...

Hi Matron, the peas are looking good. I don't know about you but me and the lambs will be glad when it warms up a bit. It looks like your dog enjoyed the snow anyway. Bob.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>