Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Monday, March 31, 2008

The fruits of Spring!

Here are the first few sticks of rhubarb from my patch. January 2007 a good friend dug up one of his large crowns and generously gave me about 5 or 6 crowns. I held back all last year throughout Summer and I did not pick a single stick in order to let it build up its strength. rhubarb is a greedy feeder! it will take any amount of compost or manure you can give it. Keep it well watered and well fed and mulched and it will pay you back.
Here it is, still squealing. I just added some brown sugar, juice of an orange and some orange zest. It also goes well with ginger. Does anyone know of any other simple way of serving stewed rhubarb? Any flavours that go particularly well? I heard that you can just dip raw rhubarb in sugar and eat it that way... don't even try it! That advice must have been an April fool.. the roof of your mouth will never forgive you.

11 Comments:

At 8:31 PM, Blogger Greenmantle said...

I loved raw rhubarb dipped in brown sugar when I was a young'un. In fact I can recall pestering my granny for a bit whenever she was making crumble.

I'm only 40, but perhaps we just didn't have such sweet tooth back then.

I can tell you that chilled, strained rhubarb juice is a wonderful mixer with Champagne though......

GM

 
At 8:43 PM, Blogger Heidi said...

A good friend of mine ate raw rhubarb all through her last pregnancy, hated it before, hates it now, but at the time craved it terribly! Ewwwwww

Looks scrummy though, well done.

 
At 8:53 PM, Blogger Threadspider said...

I used to do the dipped in sugar thing as a child...but then I eat lemons.
I must try adding orange juice and zest-my rhubarb is nearly ready, and that sounds great.

 
At 8:18 PM, Blogger VP said...

Dipped in sugar was a childhood treat! You needed plenty of sugar mind...

I like it served with Yeo Valley Organic yoghurt - normal or greek varieties, it doesn't matter which

You also asked about Pikant over at my place, so I thought I'd also leave you my comment here - it's the only shallot I've grown and for 4 years. It's red, prolific tasty and gorgeous in casseroles.

 
At 10:46 PM, Blogger Matron said...

Now I just HAVE to try rhubarb juice in champagne!! that sounds right up my street. Will have to think of a name for it..hmm

 
At 7:16 PM, Blogger Yolanda Elizabet Heuzen said...

Yummy rhubarb! Mine isn't ready to harvest yet. It's nice to eat cooked rhubarb with custard. I also use rhubarb in a crumble instead of apples.

 
At 5:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Matron--
For some reason Blogger will not allow me to comment on its sites through my Wordpress account, so I've rigged up a little website to circumvent. I've commented here before, so I have no idea what's going on.

Anyway... I am eager to share this wonderful rhubarb recipe!

Ported Rhubarb (Ann Willan)

1-1/2 lbs fresh rhubarb in 2" slices
1/4 C sugar
3/4 C ruby port
zest of one orange

Arrange rhubarb slices in one layer on a baking sheet. Sprinkle with sugar.
Mix the port and orange zest in a small bowl and drizzle over rhubarb. Bake at 350F for 20 - 30 minutes or until rhubarb is just tender when pierced with a knife.
Serve over ice cream, angel food cake, or cheese cake (or anything you would top with other fruit sauces). Enjoy!

Ported Rhubarb freezes very well for later use.

I do enjoy your site! Thanks!

 
At 3:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is only relatively recently that rhubarb has been regarded as a fruit. With just enough sugar to take off the edge it goes extremely well with very oily fish especially mackerel or cornish sardines (pilchards to us older folk)and with fatty fowl like duck and goose

 
At 6:27 AM, Blogger Molly said...

rhubarb and strawberries go wonderfully well together, stewed, in pies, or as jam. My favorite rhubarb dish is a rhubarb custard pie. Pieces of rhubarb baked in eggs and sugar and not much else, as I recall.

 
At 1:40 AM, Blogger Petunia's Gardener said...

I looked today, and I have no stalks to harvest yet. Lots of leaves, but still snuggled up to the earth. Soon, I'm sure, if the sun will come out and play.

 
At 5:24 AM, Blogger Curmudgeon said...

I just harvested my first few stalks and made a compote with apples, strawberries, lavender and cognac and just a wee bit of sugar. The recipe can be found on our blog. I found my way to yours from Petunia's Garden. --Curmudgeon

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>