Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Food Yards!

I dug the first of my other new potatoes International Kidney this morning. If I happened to be lucky enough to live on Jersey I would be allowed to call them Jersey Royal new potatoes.. some silly EEC regulation means that because I grow them elsewhere I have to call them International Kidney. That aside, I steamed them and ate them for lunch - just the most sensational waxy new potato you could imagine. This is the first time I have grown them, and in my mind they will be hard to beat. A definite for next year!

P.S. Don't forget to send me a photo of what's in your trug for my forthcoming Matron's TRUGBLOG .
Speaking of food yards (not food miles) I walked down the end of the garden this morning and as well as digging potatoes, I picked some more broad beans. Shelled them, put the pods on the compost heap and steamed the beans. Not a plastic wrapper or a car journey in sight.

7 Comments:

At 8:58 AM, Blogger Kath said...

I grew Bunyards last year. They were lovely beans but a devil to support as they were taller than me (5ft 9"). I'd love to join in the trug blog but being further north, I wouldn't have that much in mine by the end of June. My toms and beans start to come mid to late July. Any chance of an extension?

 
At 9:06 AM, Blogger Almost Mrs Average said...

Just saw your comment on the Wiggly Blog and thought I'd pop over. This looks like my dream. One day I will it happen. :-D

 
At 1:28 PM, Blogger Paul and Melanie said...

Those spuds look fantastic!

I've heard people are digging up new potatoes at the mo, not sure if I should do the same or not. I think I'm a bit behind as they've not really flowered yet (that I've noticed)

 
At 6:17 PM, Blogger beckie said...

How wonderful to eat the fruits of your labor-or in this case the veggies of your labor.

 
At 10:26 PM, Blogger Terra said...

Gorgeous potatoes; I have never grown potatoes and these look delicious.
My strawberries are producing and the blackberries will be ripening soon. We share with the wild birds.

 
At 1:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok I am hungry now! I hated that I got a late start this year but work got in the way! I should have a decent late harvest though. Next year will be fantastic. Nice harvest.

 
At 7:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gorgeous pictures! You're making me hungry! I'm so glad to have found your blog.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>