Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Delighted to Eat You!!

Matron is back! I made a new lobster friend while visiting Peggy's Cove in Nova Scotia last week..
Visited some local markets wherever I went, these beautiful cauliflowers were grown on the Island of Orleans just a few miles from Quebec City, Canada.
So were these delicious Mcintosh apples. They were the shiniest apple I have ever seen!
I came across an amazing beefsteak tomato which is grown locally in Quebec. Incredible when you consider that last Winter the locals had more than 30 feet of snow!! I bought one home with me so that I can save seed and grow some next year. I will try to find out what the variety name is. I asked a grower and the name sounded like De-lor.... or something like that. Enquiries continue.

This gravestone speaks for itself. A very moving visit to the Fairview Lawn Cemetery in Halifax, Nova Scotia.
Fresh wild blueberries on sale in St John, New Brunswick.
My favourite view of the QE2 anchored among the 'porcupine islands' at Bar Harbor, Maine.
She is the most beautiful creature afloat, alas she has been sold as a floating hotel in Dubai. Crying shame! I will miss her.
And finally home this afternoon. One of my 'Black Forest' climbing courgettes had grown into a monster marrow! .... cheese sauce being made as we speak. More photos to follow. Glad to be back home!

12 Comments:

At 7:55 PM, Blogger Kath said...

Stunning photos Matron. Sounds like a wonderful journey.

 
At 8:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome back. Those cauliflowers are incredible - the display is a work of art.

 
At 9:57 PM, Blogger Maggie said...

Looking forward to hearing more of your trip. Great photos!

 
At 10:22 PM, Blogger Wild Mood Swings said...

LOst my climber to mildew , sadly.

Welcome back

 
At 3:58 PM, Blogger Yolanda Elizabet Heuzen said...

Looks like you had a great holiday but it's nice to be back home again too. Must try to find climbing courgettes for next year.

 
At 7:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good to see you back!

 
At 7:48 PM, Blogger Rob said...

Hi Matron, glad to see that you're having a great holiday. Because I enjoy reading and visiting you blog I've decided to give you an award. If you wish to collect it you can do by visiting my blog. Bob.

 
At 11:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Matron I'm glad to see that you have arrived back home safe and well. Tom

 
At 10:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Matron. You said that the McIntosh apples were the shiniest that you have ever seen. It must be remembered that an artifical gloss is often applied to apples to enhance their appearance. I believe that it is called Polyvinyl Acetate. It is a high gloss edible coating applied to many things including apples.

 
At 11:10 PM, Blogger Matron said...

Tom... Eeek! that doesn't sound so good, they were unusually shiny.

 
At 10:47 AM, Blogger Gary and Jen, and Ruby and Peter said...

Where can I buy these climbing courgette seeds from ?

Glad you enjoyed your trip, but ships are not my cup of tea. Just glad I managed a flight on Concorde while it was still in service. There's something very special about sitting on the "throne" at twice the speed of sound!

Look forward to more updates from your blog!

TTFN

 
At 12:09 AM, Blogger Matron said...

gary..etc. The Black Forest courgette were in the Thompson & Morgan catalogue last year. There is a link on my blog.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>