Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Thursday, October 09, 2008

Hot Stuff!

It was only out of curiosity that I planted some seeds from a Scotch Bonnet chilli that I bought in a West Indian shop back in Spring. Despite the miserable Summer I think they have done OK. I still haven't had the opportunity to 'test' them yet... will let you know.
Cut open one of my pumpkins today. Such a lovely firm texture and a great taste. I made a batch of pumpkin soup last night... totally wonderful!
Another mystery in the garden this year. This is not such a good picture but my broccoli 'Rudolph' has reached 5foot tall and is still growing! I cannot work it out! I use the same variety I do every year, and by October or November they might be a healthy 2ft tall by Winter. The only suggestion is that; 1. we have had a very wet Summer. 2. I put lots of manure in that spot last year for the pumpkin patch. 3. I planted them a couple of weeks earlier this year. 4. all of the above! Can't wait for next April...
Finally, just look at the progress my pineapple has made since I bought a small cutting back from the Azores in June this year. After visiting a pineapple plantation over there I gained a few tips on cultivation. Heat, Heat and more Heat. Will have to leave a heated propagator on during Winter.

7 Comments:

At 7:28 PM, Blogger Yolanda Elizabet Heuzen said...

Pumpkin soup is great especially home made and from your own homegrown pumpkins. If this continues you will have to harvest your broccoli next year whilst standing on a ladder. ;-)

 
At 7:46 PM, Blogger TYRA Hallsénius Lindhe said...

Be careful those chilies are beautiful but....extremely hot stuff./Tyra the chili geek :-)

 
At 9:25 PM, Blogger Rob said...

Hi Matron I hope you have a pair of good step ladders ready for then you harvest that Broccoli! I have a Pineapple growing from a top. I was boring and got mine from Asda though LOL! Bob.

 
At 10:08 PM, Blogger Kath said...

Try a scotch bonnet in your pumpkin soup. Very Jamaican and hot!

 
At 3:03 AM, Blogger Scarecrow said...

Hi Matron that pumpkin looks great...I still have one left from last years crop...so they store well too!

 
At 10:04 PM, Blogger Ottawa Gardener said...

Is it sprouting broccoli for overwintering? I have never seen a 5 foot tall broccoli plant. Rouge seed? I'll look forward to the update.

As for that pinapple plant: jealous.

Do you know you can overwinter peppers? I've done it three years in a row. Sometimes I even dig them up. People will complain of bug problems inside but I have only ever had that problem one time.

The pumpkin is beautiful.

 
At 3:24 AM, Blogger Petunia's Gardener said...

Ahhh now I know your plans for the pumpkin. Sounds great!
The chili photo could make a nice colorful Christmas card. Looks like ornaments on a tree! Yes, I'm out of summer and don't have a garden Christmas card photo yet.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>