Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Monday, February 02, 2009

Global Warming???

I picked another crop of early PSB 'Rudolph' yesterday. We enjoyed a wonderful Sunday lunch of roast leg of lamb with fresh veggies. That is the good news... It snowed overnight and this morning. The worst snow England has seen in 18 years apparently. ...
We have about 7 inches of snow at the moment, with another fall due to happen this afternoon.
You know, I visited Maine, and Quebec last Autumn where it is quite usual to have 10 meters of snow and life carries on just as normal. So can somebody please tell me why London has 7 inches of snow the whole place comes to a grinding halt??
Anyway, I managed to take a few shots in the garden this morning. Now I have to contemplate the thought of driving to work this evening. Eighteen miles through central London in the worst snow storm in history.... I will pack a bag.
Sleeping bag, bottled water, chicken curry, thermos of fresh coffee, snow shovel, mobile phone charged, bag full of DVDs to while the night away...
So in the words of another famous, and intrepid explorer........
I am just going outside.... I may be a little while.....

14 Comments:

At 3:29 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Are you having fun with the snow? YOu can see why we have a love-hate affair with it, those of us in the snow belt. It makes for some fun photos and views, but also some aggro!

 
At 3:34 PM, Blogger Peggy said...

Cork city comes to a standstill on anything over 1 ins of snow as the city is all hills. I have PSB but nothing on it yet, I think March is our harvest time.Next year I will try an earlier variety as all we have from the plot now are Leeks.
Safe journey on you snow trek.

 
At 3:47 PM, Blogger Kath said...

I hope you travel safely Matron. It's grim Ooop North too, today!

 
At 3:54 PM, Blogger HelenJ said...

I have heard on the news today that schools are closed, post offices closed, airports closed....
Probably it's just the fact that you aren't used to handling snow. But your photos are really nice anyway. =) /Helen

 
At 4:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

According to Boris every single buse had to be taken off the road because some might have skidded! I bet that doesn't happen in Maine and Quebec.

 
At 5:51 PM, Blogger Dan said...

That is a little over 17cm so that is a pretty good snow fall to get all at once. Here in southern ontario, a normal snow fall is 5-15cm with a heavy snow fall being 30cm. Reminds me of the kind of snow storm that shuts down Vancouver.

Nice snowy pictures.

 
At 8:29 PM, Blogger Louise said...

Our garden looked just like yours this morning, and my journey to work first thing this morning was horrendous. I hope you manage to get on as well as you can in the chaos? x

 
At 9:01 PM, Blogger Rhiannon said...

You sound prepared for the worse, hope its not as bad as they say. Although the best quote of today for me was when a recovery guy was asked by the bbc newsreader what has been the main problem today? People stuck in the snow was the answer, I can't help thinking duhh! Safe journey.
Nice shots of the snow in the garden.

 
At 12:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The thing is, you see... in fact global warming produces local cooling. As the ice in the poles melts, the temperature in the seas goes down, so the Gulf stream that warms Europe comes cooler.

 
At 5:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

In countries that get snow regularly in winter, they invest a lot in snow ploughs etc. Everyone changes their car tyres to winter tyres (which cost a bomb, I can tell you - and you need to store them somewhere over the summer - and if you change your car, you find that the winter tyres that you have got don't fit...) They showed tyres in somewhere like Russia or Scandinavia with studs in them - well that would just rip up the roads if there wasn't any snow and the roads are falling apart already! We last got bad snow like this in my area 2 years ago, so I guess we will just have to put up with a little chaos now and then.

 
At 6:25 PM, Blogger RobD said...

Rarely do I find myself agreeing with Boris, but as he said there's little point in spending money on snow plough you use every couple of decades.

 
At 4:12 AM, Blogger Petunia's Gardener said...

Yes, snow/ice shuts us down too. Guess you don't have the remote work option though! You are heading out prepared. Love your snow garden, though.

 
At 8:29 AM, Blogger Rob said...

Hi Matron. I can't work out this snow thing either. I know its easy for me to talk as I don't have to drive to work but I have done in the past and in a lot worse conditions than these and if I couldn't get by car I set off on foot 5 miles over Derbyshire moorland and the same coming back again after work. I don't know if people can't drive anymore or whether its just an excuse to have time off work I think people would do well to take note though that in one part of the country there is a dispute going on because a company is employing workers from another country, maybe they feel they don't get the same commitment from some Bristish workers. I think this bit of snow has shown people up for what they are. Bob.

 
At 1:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Would that be 10 meters of snow or 10 feet of snow?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>