Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Sunday, August 16, 2009

Sweet Sweet Corn

I had to take a chance this morning that my sweetcorn would be ripe enough to pick before I go away on holiday. This variety 'Conqueror' is specifically suited to our unpredictable British climate. These three were just perfect, we enjoyed them with melted butter and black pepper!
I had to pick some corn today because Matron is going away for her holidays tomorrow.
Sailing across the Atlantic Ocean on the Queen Mary 2.
Buddy is going into kennels. Be a good boy, we won't be long! Back on the 29th

18 Comments:

At 3:35 AM, Anonymous kitsapFG said...

Have a lovely holiday! Look forward to your return post.

 
At 4:38 AM, Blogger Jeff Vandiver said...

Gosh, that corn looks good! Makes me want some.....Have a great trip!

 
At 6:02 AM, Blogger lilymarlene said...

Have a lovely lovely time. Hope it stays calm for you.

 
At 8:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

happy holidaying x

 
At 9:04 AM, Blogger Kath said...

Hope my Conquerors (a week or two behind yours) turn out so well. Enjoy the holiday.

 
At 11:00 AM, Blogger greenfumb said...

Hope you have a great time.

I found a mosquito net on the side of the road last year and put it over my broccoli plants using a tomato frame. It made an absolutely amazing difference to the broccoli crop.

 
At 12:41 PM, Blogger Chrissie said...

Lucky girl - have a great time!
I'm dribbling at the thought of that sweetcorn running with butter and zingy with black pepper ...

 
At 4:39 PM, Blogger Ribbit said...

Have a wonderful trip! There's just something about a transatlantic crossing that's magical.

 
At 5:21 PM, Blogger Bangchik and Kakdah said...

The corns are long..., a lot longer that what we have here. huh, must be nice....
~bangchik

 
At 7:02 PM, Anonymous Soilman said...

Have a great trip!

 
At 7:44 AM, Blogger Bob said...

Hi Matron, I hope you and Buddy enjoy your hols. Bob

 
At 11:24 AM, Blogger LittleGreenFingers said...

Enjoy your trip over the pond.

I'm off to check my sweetcorn...

 
At 5:06 PM, Anonymous Maggie's Devon nature blog said...

I'll remember that name for next year - ours aren't nearly as good...

 
At 10:34 PM, Blogger Dan said...

Enjoy your getaway!

 
At 5:58 PM, Blogger Matron said...

Thanks for all your good wishes! I am now mid-Atlantic, sailing towards the Grand Banks!

 
At 3:37 PM, Blogger Green thumb said...

Have a rocking holiday dear Matron. And those corns look delicious; i'm sure you are gonna miss your home grown vegetables.

 
At 4:14 PM, Blogger Petunia's Gardener said...

That corn does look delicious! Buddy is probably enjoying all sorts of attention from others, but he will be happy to see you.
Have a great trip!

 
At 12:36 PM, Blogger Muum said...

nice looking corn! have a great visit to the US

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>