Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Saturday, August 08, 2009

Tomato Library - Part 3

The final part of my tomato library for this year contains my last two varieties of 2009. This spectacular yellow beefsteak tomato Dixie Golden Giant was sent to me in a seed swap with Dan from his Urban Veggie Garden in Canada. Only this one seed germinated and I nursed this plant to full health in the greenhouse. What a spectacular colour. I will be saving seed from this one for sure! This beefsteak tomato probably needs a few more days of sunshine to achieve it's full, dark colour. This is Noir du Crimee, I swapped seeds with Mas du Diable back in the Spring. The name translated means it is a black tomato from the Crimea, I assume this is related to varieties with names such as 'Russian Black'. I have several plants which are all doing exceptionally well in the British climate. I look forward to growing other varieties which hail from Russia and Eastern Europe. It seems that they do well in our climate too.
I can't wait till this one is really ripe, in fact, I might just layer slices of this black tomato with slices of the Dixie Golden Giant..how would that look?

4 Comments:

At 9:45 PM, Blogger Dan said...

Wow, that Dixie Golden looks excellent! I think I may have mentioned that this was a bonus pack with my order from tomatofest. I didn't have room to fit it in this year so I have yet to try one. I will definitely find a spot for one next year! Thanks for sharing a photo of it and for the link.

 
At 9:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's one beautiful looking tomato! And so big: that would keep me in tomato and basil salads for a week...

 
At 5:04 AM, Blogger tina said...

It's a very delicious looking tomato you got from Dan!

 
At 9:46 PM, Blogger Rosemarie said...

Great looking tomatoes! Thanks for visiting my blog!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>