Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Thursday, July 30, 2009

Growing Pineapples!

I would never have dreamed to get my pineapple through the Winter and fruiting! I kept the plant wrapped up in a heated propagator all Winter.. and here you are! I will wait a couple of days till I can smell it, just to be sure of perfect ripeness. I will post later when I pick it and eat it!
I am also thrilled with some tomato seed which I obtained from a large beefsteak tomato purchased in a market in Quebec. Some research has shown that there has been genetic research into improving varieties of tomatoes which can be grown under glass in the Canadian climate. It seems to suit London pretty well too. These are incredibly prolific, tasty and remarkably early for a beefsteak variety. Definitely a keeper for next year.
Finally, here are Tikka and Korma enjoying a little TLC. Both of them jumped up on my lap when I opened a box of dried mealworms!
No luck on the beetroot project I'm afraid! They have been devouring handfulls of chopped up cooked beetroot every day, but not a single sign of pink eggs, eggshells... or pink poo! What an interesting life I lead!

12 Comments:

At 7:57 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Well done with the pineapple!

 
At 12:19 AM, Blogger Toni said...

Hi Matron! Greetings from Wyoming.

Your pineapple looks delicious!

That's funny about the chickens jumping up on your lap... do they do that often?

I'm just back from the fair... got to see lots of animals.

 
At 3:49 AM, Blogger miss m said...

How wonderfully golden it got in such a short time ! It's somewhat smaller than I remembered/imagined (from the earlier pic) but oh so very mouth-wateringly lovely ! The taste will be mind blowing, I'm sure.

I'm glad you liked the Québec tom !

 
At 5:19 AM, Anonymous kitsapFG said...

Beautiful pineapple - so pretty to look at. The chickens look like two very happy campers!

 
At 7:37 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Wonderful ! Hope you get yourself a juicy, rtangy pineapple. We get different varieties here.The common one can taste pretty acidic. Some people rub a wee bit of salt on it and then it tastes better! Sarawakian pineapples are plumper, tastier and more expensive.

 
At 9:50 AM, Blogger Autumn Belle said...

This is a good harvest. The pineapple and tomatoes seem to have ripen to a nice colour. Great!

 
At 12:31 PM, Blogger Green thumb said...

What luscious looking pineapples! Quite a coincidence, as along with reading your post I was watching a cookery programme on which Nigella Lawson was showing a yummy recipe of barbecued pineapples - your post and that recipe had me salivating like a mad dog.

 
At 2:23 PM, Blogger Carrie said...

You do live a interesting life. Who else do you know who wants their chickens to poo pink poo! That is pure unadulterated English eccentricity and I love it!!! Plus, just lovely to see 2 hungry happy girls eating away.
A little jealous of the pineapple but well done I hope it tastes better than any other you have had x

 
At 4:57 PM, Blogger Kath said...

Well done on the pineapple! My 4 chickies will jump on one another to get to mealworms. Two of them happily come up on my knee too. They leave dark tracks on my pale jeans!

 
At 8:26 PM, Blogger Celia Hart said...

Now look here, Matron! - you're spoiling those hens again! We'll tell Davicca you've been uses them for scientific experiments!

I'm not the biggest fan of pineapple, but then I discovered pineapple crumble and was converted! I hope your pineapple is absolutely delicious!!!!

celia

 
At 3:45 AM, Blogger Tira said...

How marvelous you can grow and enjoy a pineapple!

 
At 4:51 PM, Blogger Sylvana said...

LOL at the beetroot project! Your chickens are beautiful. They remind me of cats the way that they are perched on your lap peering into the container.

Way to go on the pineapple!! I have been trying to do that very thing for years with no luck. I'm probably not as dedicated as you though ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>