Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Saturday, July 25, 2009

Tikka & Korma have come to stay!

Tikka and Korma have come to stay for a Summer holiday! First stop was a trip to the salon, for a little trim! Taking a couple of inches from the end of their flight feathers will ensure they cannot hop over the garden fence! Tikka is sporting her new look here!

I am starting an experiment... I wonder what will happen to the egg yolks if I feed them cooked beetroot?? Watch this space!

7 Comments:

At 12:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was talking with a friend the other day about how what animals are fed effects what they produce, and we were both curious about if the taste varies, much as veg/grapes grown in different parts of the country comes out with a different flavor, even if grown from the same seed. Particularly with chickens, it seems like something interesting.... I'll look forward to seeing how things come out for you.

 
At 1:19 PM, Blogger Celia Hart said...

I await the results with interest ;-) Maybe it will affect the shell colour?

One thing's sure, you'll get beetroot red hen-poo!

Celia

 
At 2:46 PM, Blogger Kath said...

I have a friend who fed hers beetroot leavers (red enough to stain the fingers) and no effect on the yolks. Not tried it with the cooked stuff though.

Fetching cut there!

 
At 4:47 PM, Blogger Catherine@AGardenerinProgress said...

That will be an interesting experiment! I'll be waiting to see.

 
At 5:27 PM, Blogger kitsapFG said...

It's always nice to get a shorter cut for summer!

 
At 7:27 PM, Blogger Bob said...

Hi Matron, I remember my dad used to keep chickens when we were kids, we also had a calf to eat off the orchard as well. What you said about the Blackberry is interesting, I want to start another one on a different wall to extend the season. The one you saw in the picture is north facing. As for the hanging basket project, the brackets themselves are just orninary ones from the graden centre, you have to make sure they're fastened to the wall well though. The baskets I used are the 12 inch ones. I didn't do this but if you are worried about the weight I would try mixing plenty of Perlite or similar with the compost. I hope this is of help to you. Bob.

 
At 9:06 PM, Blogger Toni said...

Can't wait to find out!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>