Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Saturday, December 12, 2009

A Tropical Paradise!

I've just returned from a glorious short break on the island of Madiera.
The weather was wonderful, mostly 70degrees and bright sunshine.
My favourite place on the island is the colourful and vibrant fruit and veg market.
When fruit is properly ripened where it was grown it has a heavenly scent.
Guavas, pineapples, passionfruit and custard apples are fantastic here.
I also took time to visit a friend who runs a small charity feeding and neutering stray dogs on the island.
Here are some of my old friends! More pics to follow, when I have unpacked!

8 Comments:

At 12:34 PM, Blogger Ribbit said...

How wonderful!! What a nice vacation.

 
At 1:27 PM, Blogger Green thumb said...

Enjoy your vacation, while we enjoy the pics. I had to do a google check for Madeira and the info has impressed me a lot. Looking forward to more of it...

 
At 2:44 PM, Blogger Kath said...

Those fruits look fabulous. Been a bit nippy here while you were away in the glorious sunshine!

 
At 4:21 PM, Anonymous kitsapFG said...

I can almost smell that fruit myself! Glad you had a great trip and look forward to hearing more about it.

 
At 5:30 PM, Blogger Dan said...

It must have been great to soak up the warm sun! The produce looks very nice and the doggies very cute.

I saved seed from the Pink Berkeley Tie Dye tomatoes this season that I sent you early this year. If you want to give them another go next season I can send some along. I have lots of seed this season.

 
At 6:52 PM, Blogger Carrie said...

Oh it sounds like the perfect trip away, especially at this dull and dark time of year. Great fruit market they're my favourite places to visit on holiday. What cutie pie dogs, hope you have lots more photos of little canine faces. Welcome home xx

 
At 9:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A month ago I watched a documentary on Madeira and it made an impression on me. What a place, heaven on earth. Most of inhabitants are either into tourism or wine production. This tells a lot about climate they have.
Great holiday!

 
At 5:22 AM, Blogger Kalena Michele said...

Lizards...not a fan. We get some many here and I still move back several feet to give them their space.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>