Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Thursday, June 24, 2010

More Salmon Flowered Peas

Here is a bit more detail on these wonderful old Salmon Flowered Peas. They are just about perfect at the moment. You can see in the picture below they have a different growing habit from most modern varieties. The flowers all come in a spray at the top of the stem, all in a bunch.
Celia from Purple Podded Peas sent me these seeds to grow, but unfortunately her own patch seem to have some sort of disfiguring disease. A silver lining to that cloud, and a brilliant example of why we should share these rare and unusual seeds, is that I can repay the favour next Spring by giving her some seeds back!
The plants grow to about 4ft high and have dense, bright green foliage. For a more detailed history and botanical description of this variety go and search on Rebsie's blog Daughter of the Soil where she has posted some wonderful details of this variety.
A really sturdy stem.
Much thicker than you would find on newer varieties.
Compare the colour of the foliage with these Hurst Greenshaft peas. This is a glaucous blue-green in comparison with the Salmon peas.
Lovely lovely flowers which will be followed by some edible pods. More later!

11 Comments:

At 10:32 PM, Blogger miss m said...

Wow, these are absolutely gorgeous !

 
At 11:33 PM, Blogger Robert Brenchley said...

Some of mine are up to 5 1/2 feet, but pea heights are very variable.

 
At 1:01 AM, Blogger Dan said...

They truly are amazing! Going to save any seed? Would love to do a swap!

 
At 7:54 AM, Blogger Matron said...

Dan - of course! I always have too many seeds and they would find a good home in Canada,I know!

 
At 9:59 AM, Blogger Kath said...

I grew these the first time in my flower garden. They really rivalled the sweet peas for a short while (then they set pods and we ate them!)

 
At 1:36 PM, Blogger Carrie said...

ahhhh, happy times x

 
At 2:02 PM, Anonymous kitsapFG said...

Love those plants! I cannot wait to hear how they produce too.

 
At 8:44 PM, Blogger Midmarsh John said...

For one startling moment I though you were growing sweet peas but then I remembered - Matron doesn't do flowers. They look good sturdy plants.

 
At 4:01 PM, Blogger Shaheen said...

I wish I could smell them. So elelgant looking too.

 
At 7:47 AM, Blogger Matron said...

Single Track - comments do not always appear to be posted on blogger, this is a reported problem. In answer to your question, Isle of Wight garlic planted last September in free draining soil.

 
At 9:00 AM, Blogger Robbiegirl said...

How beautiful! I'd love to grow those but unfortunately they are impossible to buy. :(

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>